The 10 winners of the West Africa Mobile Awards, the first truly West African technology awards to recognise the region’s best mobile and tech companies, were announced this evening at the awards party in Lagos, Nigeria on 18th May 2017.
An excellent response drew over 150 submissions from across 14 countries. Following the success of last year’s WAMAS, 2017 produced a vast array of entries from exciting new technologies and services, from startups to established ventures driving progress in West Africa.
The WAMAS were supported by BBM, Mobile West Africa (MWA), AppsAfrica.com, Wimbart PR, Dress Me Outlet, Kasi Insights and many other industry-leading organisations and publications.
The winners by category:
- Best App: nairabox
- Commerce & Retail: BuyChat
- FinTech: Flutterwave
- Mobile Education: Optiweb Communications
- Mobile Innovation: VAS2Nets Technologies – BVN
- Mobile Marketing Campaign: Bloom !nteractive – The Attraction
- Social Impact: Airtel Money Niger / Mahindra Comviva
- Social, News & Entertainment: BattaBox
- Outstanding Industry Achievement: Rebecca Enonchong
- Young Gun of the Year Award: Iyin Aboyeji (Flutterwave)
Matthew Dawes, Co-Founder of the West Africa Mobile Awards, commented: “Building on last year’s success our mission was to promote and honour the fantastic innovation across the mobile and tech ecosystem in Africa. Congratulations to all of the 2017 winners and thank you to the judges, sponsors, and media partners across West Africa that helped to make the WAMAS possible.”