Obafemi Martins Explains Sounders Switch

Started by Folami David, Mar 27, 2013, 05:42 PM

Folami David

Nigeria attacker, Obafemi Martins has explained the reasons behind his controversial move to Major League Soccer (MLS) outfit, Seattle Sounders.
The 28-year-old confirmed his departure from the Spanish club on March 11.
Martins' former club, Levante also announced that striker paid his exit fee believed to be around US $4 million to facilitate his release by the team.
The former Inter Milan winger has now exclusively moved to explain the reasons behind his decision to swap La Liga for the MLS.
"I decided to do that. I decided to go to Seattle,"Martins exclusively said.
Quizzed if he thought moving away from Europe would hamper his chances of playing on in the national team, Martins said such a decision was not his to make.
"It does not matter if I am selected or not. The important thing is that I decided to move to Seattle.
"If I am selected to play in the national team, it's okay; if I am not, I stay in my team," he submitted.
Earlier this month, head coach of the Nigeria national team, Stephen Keshi exclusively voiced his sentiments on Martins' switch.
"When a player moves, it's not really about whether he's playing in the Champions League or any other top competition but what the player does every week," Keshi said.
The national team trainer also revealed he supports the move made by the petite forward.
"I support whatever decision he takes and I am sure he understands the reasons he made the move; better than anyone else," he stated.
Martins has played 39 times for Nigeria, netting 18 goals.

Shola Sholaz

For me the explanations are not necessary cos i would have preferred he stayed at his old club. He is still agile to play quality football

Folami David

I think Obafemi Martins saw it coming that was why everything was carried out smoothly by him. The explanation is very clear

Folami David