NaijaNews | NANS decries mass failure in WASSCE

Started by sparrow, Aug 23, 2010, 03:01 AM

sparrow

The National Association of Nigerian Students (NANS) yesterday decried the 75 per cent failure rate of candidates in this year's West African Senior School Certificate Examination (WASSCE).

It's National President Comrade Ini Ememobong told reporters in Abuja that the 75 per cent failure in Mathematics and English shows that Nigeria had not gotten it right educationally.

Only 24.94 per cent of the candidates who wrote the May/June exams conducted by the West African Examination Council (WAEC) had five credits including English and Mathematics.

Ememobong said the result was a clear indication that the nation had failed in education.

He also lamented the rate of exam malpractice recorded, saying that education needed urgent government's intervention for it to be resuscitated.

Ememobong said: "The 75 per cent failure rate only shows the fact that we have not gotten it right in education. Just like we came back from the World Cup and said we have not got it right in sports. You remember the last time we had 85 per cent failure, so, I don't know whether this is progressive deterioration in failing.

"This 75 per cent failure in English and Mathematics is not even the whole and total failure which if you galvanise the whole you will discover that it will be more than this. It is an indication that our educational system is yet to stand on its feet and to achieve desired results.

"Also it is a show that we are not paying sufficient attention, whether it is at the level of government, private individuals, teachers, curriculum development, infrastructure, cumulatively this is an indication that we had it wrong in the area of education.

"And for me I must confess that we are playing politics with education. No serious country... Japan in 1945 was almost decimated. They went back into their drawing board, used education and technology and today you cannot ignore them in global talk. Nigeria must go back and take education seriously. Until we do it, we can't have it right."

He added: "This is a clear testimony that in education we have failed. What other aspect have we not failed?, NANS asked.

NANS decries mass failure in WASSCE