PDP under fire over comments on Obasanjo’s visit to Oshiomhole

Started by MrVan, Apr 15, 2012, 08:00 AM

MrVan

BY VICTOR AHIUMA-YOUNG & SIMON EBEGBULEM

Chieftains of Edo State Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, have been told to stop exhibiting  ignorance about former President Olusegun Obasanjo's visit to Edo State Governor Adams  Oshiomhole in public glare.

A statement by "Edo Is In Safe Hands" and signed by its Administrative Secretary, Comrade Mike Ozaveshe,  said it seemed Edo State PDP was already fidgeting about the rising popularity of  Oshiomhole and the dwindling fortunes of its candidate, Charles Airhiavbere.

According to the statement "They simply do not know anything about the former president's visit and, as such, they cannot clarify the purpose of his visit. Why the sudden fear? Do they think they can intimidate the former president? Don't they have ear to hear? Is it that Edo PDP do not have ear to hear"? Obasanjo said: "I must not be in Benin City without calling on the governor. Today is not for talk.

I would do a banquet where we would talk. I would come back and then there would be opportunity to talk, but for now, thank you very much. I am not here for any statement. If the governor is around and I'm in Edo State for a private visit, I should be here to say hello. Thank you very much."

"So, we expect the PDP to wait for the second coming of Chief Obasanjo when he will talk on whether he has endorsed Oshiomhole for second term so that Oshiomhole himself would talk.

In a related development, the Edo Political Stakeholders Forum has described as unnecessary the condemnation of the visit by Obasanjo to Oshiomhole by the PDP saying the his visit was an indication of the developmental strides of the governor.

In a statement by the coordinator of the group, Chief Best Ose and Secretary, Dr Folus Ejele, it hailed what it described as the demonstration of statesmanship by the former president which " some have imported mindless sentiments, similar to what a few self seeking persons had earlier done over the meeting between Governor Oshiomhole and Prof.Oserhiemen Osunbor, as having some political motives."

The statement described the criticism from the PDP as unhealthy paradigm shifts, expressing shock over the "unnecessary dusts being raised by the visit" and emphasized that the development of the state is more important and must be divulged from such crude and subversive craftsmanship of inter party politics.

Vanguard Nigeria