Stop prosecuting my husband for killing our son - Mercy Friday

Started by emezico, Jun 16, 2011, 03:23 PM

emezico

Could her present request be attributed to love or emotional trauma?

A woman, Mrs. Mercy Friday, on Wednesday threw caution to wind when she interrupted court proceedings in a Lagos High Court, Ikeja, begging the court to stop the ongoing prosecution of her husband who is standing trial for allegedly killing their son.

"He is my husband and the father of my only surviving child. If he is sent to prison, I will not be able to cope. So, I am begging you to stop this trial because I am no longer interested," Mercy cried out in an emotion-laden voice.

Her husband, Mr. Obot Friday, is facing a one-count charge of manslaughter before Justice Olabisi Akinlade after he was accused of killing his 11-year-old son, Michael, on September 12, 2001.

The 35-year-old accused allegedly killed his son by flogging him with a wire after the boy refused to sleep at home the previous day.

Reacting to her request, the judge during the court proceeding, Justice Akinlade, told mercy that, her issue was no longer relevant because the trial had already commenced.

"The matter is now between the state and your husband. When the case was called up, it was 'The people of Lagos State' versus Obot Friday," Justice Akinlade said.

Before now, Mrs. Mercy Friday was the complainant in the case and that the accused was her husband.

Adapted from The Punch

charlly007

Surely,wonders will never end to exist in Nigeria.Too bad for the woman in question.But i find it amusing that the man is still standing trial for an offense committed in 2001.I expect everything to have been rap up by now.

charlly007