Okotie's marital crisis: Why the wedding crashed

Started by sylvelity009, Jul 05, 2012, 10:37 AM

sylvelity009

For even the most imaginative writer, writing the story of Rev. Chris Okotie will be a particularly problematic project. No doubt, some stories write themselves, especially, in a case whereby the protagonist becomes larger than life and spring out of the grasp of the writer's muse. That is the likely case with anyone trying to chronicle the Chris Okotie story, not that the subject lacked stuffs and substance that good stories are made of, afterall, he is a leading Nigerian televangelist and the pastor of the Household of God Church International Ministries. What's more, he is 'grammarian' extraordinaire, an excellent teacher of the Bible, a once-upon-a time big-time pop star, a politician with three-time presidential aspirant credentials. They don't come any bigger. He is truly three-dimensional; his biography, replete with good measure of the Shakespearean elements – suspense (and atimes flashes of suspension of reality), conflicts (derived from his controversies with fellow celebrity pastors as well as his controversial marriages) and intrigues (from his quixotic ideals and idiosyncrasies revved up by his politicking). Despite all these, the Chris Okotie character will still leave a good writer stranded at dead-ends. He is difficult to predict, and he is full of surprises.
That exactly was what he did with his recent bombshell. Nobody saw it coming. Coming into church on June 24, eight days after his 54th birthday, only to tell his flock a not-too-glad a tiding that, "Stephanie and I are no longer married. We have separated. You can see she's not in church today. It's due to irreconcilable differences and you should please respect our wishes at this time...because there is no going back." As simple as that. He announced the collapse of the marriage between him and his second wife, Stephanie Henshaw, whom he married four years ago. Now his life has turned full cycle, and the result, another storm of controversy.

As a man of God, shouldn't this be one controversy too many? Surprisingly, given the Nigerian society's propensity to greet such with uproar, and make a circus out of it, this time around, a blanket of cautious silence fell over the issue. For his church members, a quasi Omerta prevailed. Among men of God, and the gliterrati, many refused to be drawn into the maelstrom.
To the outsiders, the ultimate question is "How would members of the church take the news? The news, however, did not rock the church. A visit to the church during an evening service held on June 27, by 6 p.m. gave a good glimpse. The service was  conducted by one of the pastors. A few minutes chat with members in attendance gave a background to how the church was coping with the disturbing news of the split.
One of the members of the congregation who spoke on the condition of anonymity reconstructed the moment when the news was broken to them by Pastor Okotie. His words: "Last week when Pastor broke the news to us that he is divorcing his wife, it was some few minutes to the end of the service. It left many of us speechless and puzzled for hours. That Sunday was June brethrens birthday celebration - a monthly programme to celebrate those born in different months of the year - The woman (his wife) wasn't in church."
The source avowed that "we didn't really see any traces of breakup before that day because they were always holding hands and smiling at each other. So, there is no way anyone would have suspected anything".
A 36 year old member of the church gave a little insight. "I have always suspected some challenges in their union" he admitted, stating further "Sometimes, she doesn't come to church and even when she does, she is not her real self. I also heard from a friend who works with the church office that the man of God yells at her most times on phone. And sometimes when she comes to the office, you can see the bitterness on her face. But no one ever knew it would ever get to this point."
Another worshipper at the church expressed the popular sentiment. "This is really painful because I can still remember the marriage between him and Sister Stephanie started during a thanksgiving service held in this church on August 10, 2008. As a matter of fact, it created a stir when he told us that the Holy Spirit revealed to him that his bride had never been married before. The woman, who was married, was dead and this one is born again, a new creation". Quoting the Bible, he said: "old things had passed away"- so also was the fact that she was once married. It's a sad one altogether what the man went through before the world accepted the woman."
That probably is how the generality of the church members are going to see the whole picture. This was further corroborated by a third person: "I have been a member of this church for six years now. I can remember clearly that Pastor said God told him that Sister Stephanie is his wife. He told us this during one of his sermons about four years ago. So, many of us were shocked on Sunday when the man of God announced again that they are separating.  I even thought I heard the wrong thing as I had to ask the person who was sitting beside me to help me out with what the pastor said. He repeated what pastor said and I almost fainted. This is so painful because as at that time when he told us about the marriage when they were getting married, many people opposed his wish. But he ignored some of the church members and other relatives concerning his decision to wed Stephanie."
Nevertheless, they are backing their pastor to the hilt. Hear one of the youths:
"I can't believe my pastor is going through this because this is not a good one for his image. This is not to say I am judging him and I don't think anyone should. I know both parties arrived at this decision after a careful review of the prevailing circumstances which pointed to the fact that it is the best option for them at this time... It must have been a very difficult decision for the man of God to make. Nobody will divorce a good woman."

sylvelity009

Rexyspy

Chris Okotie's marriage failure I feel is as a result of his lack of consideration for little things and matters he might consider insignificant. Its his life, let him live it the way it pleases him.
One thing should now matter to people, the kind of people they see as role models, now matters a lot.

Justin Nnamdi

I See no reason why a man of God should divorce in the first place??the holy spirit told him what???Bul-shit if you ask me!!Did Our Lord  Jesus on his teachings tell us that whosoever marries a woman who has been married before and no longer married commits adultery??Since when has the trinity starts Contradicting each other??As it Was in the beginning so it is,And will be World Without End!!!Wetin God go Judge on the last Day many ooo

JukaSwagZ

Coming 4rm a persn of his caliber, a spiritual leader,a three dimensional man and a personal role model 2 millions of nigerians, we r really dissapointd bcos if we cannot turn 2 our spiritual leaders wen our national leaders hav failed den we're really in a dilema. God hlp Nigeria.

Justin Nnamdi

I sincerely Agree with jukaswagz!!the man failed..if a Man of God has no respect for the Bible and can't do as expected of him,then as the bible says"its better for a millstone to be hung around his neck and he should be flung into the sea"..

MR JOKE

Marriage failure can happen anytime anywhere but it should not result to divorce for Chris Okotie.

MR JOKE