Man hides N24m cocaine inside roasted chicken

Started by MrVan, Sep 02, 2012, 05:30 AM

MrVan

By DANIEL ETEGHE

Operatives of the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA), at  the weekend, arrested an auto-technician, Mr. Vincent Chegini Chinweuwa, for allegedly smuggling about 2.655kg of cocaine hidden inside roasted chicken at the Murtala Muhammed International Airport, Lagos.

The suspect  was apprehended with the N24million worth of drug during the inward clearance of passengers on a Turkish Airline flight from Sao Paulo, Brazil.

Speaking on the arrest, the NDLEA, Ahmadu Giade, noted that the seizure of the  cocaine was  spectacular, stressing that it would further help to discourage drug suspects from drug trade.

"The suspect thought his mode of drug concealment was perfect but we proved him wrong. Several drugs cleverly hidden by drug barons have been discovered and we shall continue to detect drugs regardless of the mode of concealment", Giade assured.

The NDLEA boss pointed out that the suspect would soon be charged to court.

Meanwhile, the NDLEA Airport Commander, Mr Hamza Umar, described the seizure of the drug as remarkable, noting that the suspect had given investigators useful information on the case.

"We discovered 2.655kg of cocaine hidden inside roasted chicken. It is a remarkable seizure because no one would have imagined cocaine worth several millions inside roasted chicken" Hamza stated.

The suspect, who hails from Imo State, expressed surprise on how the drug was detected.

"It took me three days to pack the cocaine inside the roasted chicken. I was confident that the drug will not be detected. I have been living in Brazil since 2006. Life has been stressful because I cannot even visit my wife in Nigeria due to lack of money. I wanted some money to start any business of my choice back home. Unfortunately, I was disappointed upon arrival in Lagos", Chinweuwa  lamented.

Vanguard Nigeria