Governor Fashola Comes Of Age @ 50

Started by PMNews, Jul 03, 2013, 12:02 PM

PMNews

By Joe Igbokwe

Your talent is God's gift to you, what you do with it is your gift back to God. Service to humanity is therefore a way of thanking God for graciously granting us limitless talents and it is also the price we pay for being alive. Therefore when H.G. Wells asked Ghandhi to comment on the book he co-authored titled the Rights of Man, Ghandhi responded by saying "I suggest the right way. Begin with a charter of duties of man and I promise the rights will follow as spring follows the winter". The lesson is this: Reconcile power with service and you are surely on your way to higher standard of leadership. A school of thought once said that only a leader with character can understand the calculus and arithmetic of governance and democracy.

Just a few days ago Sheikh Hamad bin Khalifa Hamad AL-Thani  of Qatar handed over power to his 33-year old son after 18 years in office. In those 18 years the great leader built the economy of Qatar from 8 billion dollars to 178 billion dollars great country with 100,000 dollars per capita income. While handing over power to his son the great man said: "God Almighty is aware that I had not desired power for the sake of power, nor endeavoured to rule for personal motives, yet it has always been in the nation's interest, and that interest has dictated that we lead through new chapter."

Going further this great leader told his son to: "let hard work be your habit in serving your country, steering away from complacency or reluctance or acceptance of existing state of affairs. Great nations cannot be built for current and future generations without the relentless work of their men, and cannot be safeguarded from greediness or threats without their sacrifice."

Lagos State started a tortuous journey to greatness in 1999 and in 8 years the Governor Emeritus, His Excellency Bola Ahmed Tinubu began an irreversible process of making Lagos a destination in Africa. In 8 years, Asiwaju Bola Ahmed laid a solid foundation and set the ball rolling for a greater Lagos that will compete with any great city in the world. In 2007 he handed over power to Governor Fashola to continue the great movement to make Lagos a commercial and financial power house in Africa. Six years into his eight-year tenure, Governor Fashola has shown that there is hope for Nigeria and Africa.

Imbibing the characters of self-actualisers which involves peak experiences, higher purpose, critical thinking, accepting imperfections, willing to change, being unique in what you do, realizing your dreams, being time conscious, sense of humour, looking for good in others, fresh and renewed appreciation, and not ignoring your Creator, this great Actualiser systematically and courageously raised the bar of leadership in Nigeria for the better.

Realizing that leadership in a city like Lagos is no tea party, Governor Fashola brought to bear unique common sense, intelligence and self-discipline (Professor Badiru's Equation of success ) to bring Lagos State to world attention. Knowing fully well that history documents the actions and deeds of people who had opportunity and privilege of occupying exalted positions in life, Governor Fashola moved with great speed to write his name down for posterity by engaging Lagos through thick and thin to achieve results.

Apart from changing the face of Lagos to look like what we see in advanced countries of the world, Governor Fashola has made Lagos the safest city in Nigeria where security of lives is guaranteed. In his words, the golden Governor said: "I do not know any city or state with our population size that has our security record in any part of the world."

Through raw courage and and unimaginable sense of commitment, Governor Fashola has done the unthinkable in Lagos, crushing heresies and taboos to create an emerging world class city in Africa. He has stepped on big toes in his quest to create a brand new Lagos where things are done in the proper way, no matter whose ox is gored.

At 50, I salute Governor Fashola for his vision and template of good governance he has shown to other states in Nigeria. I salute his commitment to encouraging our diversity and plurality in running the affairs of Lagos State. I salute Governor Fashola for his investment in Education, Infrastructure, Environment and physical planning.

At 50, I want to encourage this Governor to start now to prepare himself for national service. I have kept on wondering what Nigeria will be like with a man like Fashola in the saddle. Without sounding immodest I stick out my neck to say that he will make the world to pay attention to Nigeria in just two years.

Therefore with every sense of humility and responsibility I present Governor Fashola to Nigerians to use. Fashola will be available in 2015 and please use him if you want this country to join the comity of nations. I have worked with him for years now and I know what I am talking about. Governor Fashola and a few other Nigerians have the capacity to take this country to the next level. Please fish them out and use them for the glory of the commonwealth.

•Igbokwe wrote from Lagos

PM News Nigeria