DIVORCE COURT: Drama in court as couple struggle over shirt

Started by Mirror, Nov 02, 2013, 07:31 AM

Mirror

• The shirt is mine not hers –Husband
  • •He wears my clothes -Wife
There was mild drama at the Agege Customary Court on Thursday as Mr. Abdulganiyu Momoh and his wife, Mrs. Doris Momoh laid claims to a torn shirt, which was presented as evidence by the husband. "This is the shirt (raising up the shirt) I wore the day my wife fought with me. During the fight, she tore my shirt. This shirt belongs to me and not to her as she claimed," said the husband. Also laying claim to the shirt, Mrs. Momoh said: "He is lying.

The shirt belongs to me. He has been wearing my clothes for long now. He is a troublesome person. That is why I have been avoiding him to maintain peace in the house as we were told by the court the last time we came here." The President of the Customary Court, having listened to both parties, instructed them again to maintain peace until the court rules on the matter.

He also handed them over to the police to give separate undertakings that they will maintain peace as ordered by the court until their next appearance in court. The couple, in the last one year, has been in court over a divorce suit instituted by Mr. Momoh against his wife. Despite the court advice that both of them should maintain peace pending judgement, however, the couple, who still live together, engage in frequent domestic squabbles.

The husband has for many months been unable to provide accommodation for his wife as ordered by the court based on the excuse that he does not have necessary funds to carry out the court order. The matter was adjourned to November 3, 2013.