News - Buhari, at El-Rufai’s book launch, seeks better funding for education

Started by TGD, Feb 08, 2013, 03:30 AM

TGD

• Rules out nation's disintegration

• Tinubu, others laud author

• Babangida Aliyu hails merger of parties

FORMER Military Head-of-State, Gen. Muhammadu Buhari, has said that Nigeria might never get it right until it reverses to the old order when almost half of the annual budget was spent on the education sector.

Speaking at the public presentation of a book, The Accidental Public Servant, written by former Minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Mallam Nasir El'Rufai, Thursday in Abuja, Buhari envisaged a serious socio-political challenge in the country when Federal Government spends only between two and five per cent of the annual budget on education while the rest is spent on security.

This development, he noted, is contrary to the attitude of the past leaders towards education. He said: "That is the reason I respect the late Ahmadu Bello and the late Chief Obafemi Awolowo. The late Sardauna was spending 46 per cent of the regional  budget on education while Awolowo was spending over 55 per cent. You can't go wrong that way.

"All we get now is only two or five per cent on education and the rest on security. This book has been written by El Rufai to appeal to our consciences to sit up and reorganise and fix this country."

On the insinuation that Nigeria may break up soon, Buhari reiterated that the nation is so intertwined that it would be impossible to disintegrate, stating: "We know all those who talk glibly about dividing the nation, they don't know what they are talking about. We are so intertwined that it is so impossible to divide."

Buhari, however, expressed regret that strong socio-political institutions established by the British colonial masters were destroyed by political strong men. He noted further: "I have not read the book completely but the little I read reminded me of the visit of (Barack) Obama to Ghana, leaving Nigeria and visiting South Africa before returning to the United States.

"He did say that promoting democracy requires strong institutions, not strong people. The British established strong institutions for us - the police, civil service, judiciary and military, that when compared to other countries, you will have some respect.

"In Nigeria here, those who were strong destroyed the institutions, now our problem is basically to get the strong people to rebuild the institutions so that we can sustain our development, otherwise we are really into a big trouble.

"But El'Rufia has been here, this is his contribution for us to revive our institutions. For the civil servants and for the elite, I honestly recommend this book. It contains so much courage and so much intellect that we need to bounce back as a nation."

In his remarks, the Governor of Niger State, Muazu Babangida Aliyu, said he had prayed fervently for merger of four political parties in the country, which took place yesterday. According to him, that would compel politicians to be more discerning in the choice of candidates they present for political offices.

"I am one member of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), who prayed fervently that merger would come to reality. With it, Nigerian politicians would be rationalised so that it is not every Tom, Dick and Harry that can become this or that," he said. "Some people are speculating that I want to be president. I am prepared, but I am not saying anything."

For the Governor of Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), the book captures the issue of values and efficiency in public service. According to him, the major problem with Nigeria is the total disregard for merit and competence. He stated: "It is not all about corruption but rather, there is no focus on merit. We focus on ethnicity without asking what the person has to offer.

"Everything that divides us is entrenched in the hands of those who have nothing to offer. I also think we need some understanding of distinction between loyalty and sycophancy. Loyalty is about telling your boss that everything is not alright, it is about telling your boss that this is bad, whether he likes it or not."

Former governor of Lagos State, Senator Bola Tinubu, who was represented by the Publicity Secretary of Action Congress of Nigeria (CAN), Alhaji Lai Mohammed, described the book as "yet unrivaled in the annals of our history." He said: "The alacrity of its expositions, the candor with which the narrative unfolds and the intimacy of its revelations grant a delightful read and deliver an impactful work."

According to him, "El-Rufai was just not a spectator or bystander, he was a player constantly in the ring, who later became one of the captains that battled for the sole of Nigeria. El-Rufai was not just an eyewitness to power, he had his whole body in the power arena and that is why we must not be in a hurry to dismiss some of the most troubling revelations in his book.

"In as much as El-Rufai may not and cannot exonerate himself from all that happened, he has chosen a road less travelled by telling it all."

According to Tinubu, "one of yesterday's men is coming clean. The power and courage of El-Rufai's work is not just in the carefully woven narrative but also in the mere fact that the key figures he has written about are still alive and perhaps only one or two of them are dead.

"Hence, Nigerians should expect to get a few reactions and, if lucky, see more books churned out by a few who think El-Rufai has only told the story of that era from his own angle."

The event was chaired by the former Speaker, House of Representatives, Aminu Bello Masari. In his opening remarks, he described El Rufai as a very creative and hard working person, radical and non-conformist.

"When I heard he was presenting a book, I made up my mind that I must endeavour to come," he said. "When I was coming, I was coming as an ordinary person but on my way, I was given the privilege of chairing the occasion, it was a great honour."

Masari declined long speech, noting that he would not want to contradict the author, especially as his name appeared frequently in the book. He, however, urged public office holders to ensure they write books and keep records for posterity.

Earlier, Mrs. Sarah Omagbon of Family Worship Centre had, in her prayer, elevated the person of El- Rufai, describing him as a man of honour and credibility. The book was officially presented by Governor Babatunde Fashola of Lagos State, who admonished the writer to return to the classroom so that the younger generations of Nigerians could learn from his wealth of experience.

Former Education Minister and Chairman of the book launch committee, Prof. Oby Ezekwesili, described the author as a quintessential non-conformist. She noted: "I know that the chair of the occasion said that, but he is epitome of non-conformist, he is the kind of a fellow that is simply El-Rufai. We are very delighted as a committee to present this book. He has brought his perceptive to bear on the book."

For Tunde Bakare, El'Rufai falls among real heroes. According to him, there are artificial and imaginary heroes, but a true hero is that whose efforts change lives, alter destinies and shape the course of events in people's lives.

The Guardian