CAMBRIDGE, MA–(Marketwired – March 31, 2015) – Continued investments to accommodate the increasing demands applications place on network infrastructure drove global Ethernet switch sales to $21.7 billion in 2014, up 5 percent from 2013, reports technology market research firm Infonetics Research, now part of IHS Inc. ( NYSE : IHS ). The market has hit record highs each year since 2010.
Infonetics’ fourth quarter 2014 (4Q14) and year-end Ethernet Switches market share, size and forecast report tracks unmanaged, web-managed and fully-managed fixed and chassis switches by port speed (100ME, 1GE, 10GE, 40GE, 100GE).
“2014 was another solid year for Ethernet switches. The one weakness was 10GE, where revenue growth has essentially stalled as large data center operators migrate to 40GE and mainstream enterprises have yet to widely adopt 10GE. As a result, 40GE is the key growth segment right now, but we expect this to last only another one to two years, after which 25GE and 100GE technology takes over,” said Matthias Machowinski, directing analyst for enterprise networks and video at Infonetics Research.
ETHERNET SWITCH MARKET HIGHLIGHTS
- In 4Q14, global Ethernet switch revenue totaled $5.9 billion, a 5 percent sequential increase driven by web-managed and fully-managed switches
- China drove growth in the Ethernet switch market in 2014, where revenue is up a strong 17 percent from 2013
- While 10GE switch revenue is slowing, port shipments grew 27 percent in 2014, driven by data center upgrades, server virtualization and core network buildouts
- 40GE port shipments almost tripled in 2014, and revenue easily doubled
- 100GE ports grew more than six-fold in 2014, and the arrival of 100GE on fixed switches and the introduction of low-cost optics will drive 100GE in 2015 and beyond
- “White box” switches — switches built by original equipment manufacturers (OEMs) and original design manufacturers (ODMs) and sold directly to end-users — are seeing success with large web services and content providers like Google and Amazon
- Heavyweight Cisco continued its recovery, growing Ethernet switch sales 1 percent sequentially in 4Q14 and clinging to small year-over-year growth
- Huawei’s 2014 Ethernet switch revenue is up 72 percent versus 2013, as it built out its channel, increased brand awareness and expanded into Europe
ANALYST CONFERENCE CALL FOR CLIENTS
Clients: Log in to view on-demand analyst Matthias Machowinski’s Ethernet switch market outlook: www.infonetics.com/cgp/login.asp?id=962.
ETHERNET SWITCH REPORT SYNOPSIS
Infonetics’ quarterly Ethernet switch report provides worldwide and regional market size, vendor market share, forecasts through 2019, analysis and trends for Ethernet switches, including: revenue and ports by port speed; unmanaged, web-managed and fully-managed switches; fixed configuration and chassis switches; and PoE. Vendors tracked: Adtran, Alaxala, Alcatel-Lucent Enterprise, Arista, Avaya, Brocade, Cisco, D-Link, Dell, Extreme, Hitachi Metals, HP, Huawei, IBM, Juniper, Netgear, Ruby Tech, TP-Link, ZTE, others. To purchase the report, contact www.infonetics.com/contact.asp.
- How Much Is Server, Application and Network Downtime Costing Businesses?
- Telecom Revenue Growth Stalls as Datacom Growth Accelerates
RECENT AND UPCOMING RESEARCH
Download Infonetics’ 2015 service brochure or log in: www.infonetics.com/login.
- Analyst Note: Enterprise Networking: New Technologies, Opportunities (Jan.)
- Enterprise Routers Forecast (Mar.)
- Wireless LAN Equipment and WiFi Phones Forecast (Mar.)
- Enterprise Telepresence and Video Conferencing Equipment Forecast (Mar.)
- Data Center and Campus Ethernet Switch Vendor Leadership Survey (Apr.)
- Network Monitoring Switches Forecast (May)
INFONETICS WEBINARS (https://www.infonetics.com/infonetics-events)
- Next-Gen DDoS Mitigation: Leveraging Hybrid and Cloud Solutions (Apr. 7: Attend)
- SIP Security: Mitigating Threats to COs and Mobile Workers (Apr. 16: Attend)
- Making WiFi Networks Smarter (May 20: Learn more)
- Reshaping Enterprise Networks for BYOD, IoT and Cloud World (Watch now)
- Outdoor Wireless: The Next Connectivity Frontier (Sponsor)
TO PURCHASE RESEARCH, PLEASE CONTACT:
North America (West), Asia Pacific:
Larry Howard Larry.Howard@ihs.com +1 408-583-3335
North America (East, Midwest), Latin America, EMEA:
Scott Coyne Scott.Coyne@ihs.com +1 408-583-3395
Greater China, Southeast Asia, India: 大中华区
Jeffrey Song Jeffrey.Song@ihs.com +86 21-3919-8505
Takashi Kimura, TAK Analytics firstname.lastname@example.org +81 3-6408-5566
IHS ( NYSE : IHS ) is the leading source of insight, analytics and expertise in critical areas that shape today’s business landscape. Businesses and governments in more than 150 countries around the globe rely on the comprehensive content, expert independent analysis and flexible delivery methods of IHS to make high-impact decisions and develop strategies with speed and confidence. IHS has been in business since 1959 and became a publicly traded company on the New York Stock Exchange in 2005. Headquartered in Englewood, Colorado, USA, IHS is committed to sustainable, profitable growth and employs about 8,800 people in 32 countries around the world.
IHS is a registered trademark of IHS Inc. All other company and product names may be trademarks of their respective owners. © 2015 IHS Inc. All rights reserved.
About Infonetics Research
Infonetics Research, now part of IHS ( NYSE : IHS ), is an international market research and consulting firm serving the communications industry since 1990. A leader in defining and tracking emerging and established technologies in all world regions, Infonetics helps clients plan, strategize and compete more effectively. Follow Infonetics on Twitter for the latest headlines: http://twitter.com/infonetics.
Image Available: http://www.marketwire.com/library/MwGo/2015/3/31/11G037167/Images/2015-Infonetics-4Q14-Ethernet-Switches-Mkt-Fcst-Ch-246414886326.jpg
News Media Contact:
Directing Analyst, Enterprise Networks and Video
Infonetics Research / IHS