Schalke have warned suitors off Leroy Sane in the January window, insisted that even Manchester City cannot afford to sign Germany international.
City have been linked with a £32 million move for the highly rated 19-year-old attacking midfielder.
But while City spent over £150 million last summer as they brought in players such as Raheem Sterling, Kevin De Bruyne, Fabian Delph and Nicolas Otamendi, the Bundesliga club are adamant Sane is going nowhere.
“We don’t want to sell him and Leroy doesn’t want to leave the club,” Schalke general manager Horst Heldt told Bild, in quotes reported by the Guardian. “Even Man City haven’t got that much money!”
Sane, the son of Senegal international Souleyman Sane, made his Germany debut against France in November and signed a new contract last summer to run until 2019.
City manager Manuel Pellegrini deflected talk of January signings on Thursday by saying he already has a “complete squad.”
Last week, his agent, Jurgen Milewski, ruled out a move away from the club.
“Schalke is the best place Leroy could be,” Milewski told Bild. “A winter transfer is not an issue. He is very happy at Schalke.”