Martins set for Seattle Sounders

Started by BBC, Feb 28, 2013, 06:30 PM

BBC

Nigeria's Obafemi Martins is set to join Major League Soccer club Seattle Sounders, the player has confirmed.

The striker, 28, will leave Spanish side Levante, who he only joined in September.

"We are on the verge of finalising everything and it should be another step in my career," Martins told BBC Sport.

"I'm happy because Levante will benefit from this and it will also help the club financially."

"What the American club [Seattle Sounders] has offered is a good deal for everyone involved.

The contract papers that will see Martins move to the United States are expected to be signed by Saturday.

The Nigerian joined La Liga side Levante after a disappointing stint at Russia's Rubin Kazan, where his time was blighted by injuries and loss of form, forcing the team to banish him to the reserves.

The former Newcastle, Birmingham City and Wolfsburg player took a massive pay cut to seal a move to Spain and get regular football.

If the plan was to win over his many critics via decent performances in the Spanish league, the concept has clearly worked out for the Super Eagle.

He has revived his career at Levante, scoring the winner on his debut and going on to net eight further goals in 22 appearances.

"It's been a good time here and I've enjoyed my moment at this club," he said.

"The fans have been very supportive and I will always cherish that."

Martins, who began his career in Nigeria with FC Ebedei, has also played club football in Italy.

Also related to this story Share this story    Share this page    
Via: BBC

emezico

Moving to the US is a good move for players, financially. But, it meant for players who at aged as regards football and at the peak of their career. The US move will surely shut Martin out of the Nigerian national team.

emezico