Governance in Nigeria: President Goodluck Jonathan Speaks and I Quote!

Started by MyInfoStride, Aug 30, 2010, 11:42 AM

MyInfoStride

The President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, Goodluck Ebele Jonathan (GEJ) speaks!

This thread showcases comments, feedbacks, updates and responses of President Goodluck Ebele Jonathan (GEJ) on his Facebook Page for your reviews, advice, comments, and deliberation.

Join the discussion. Share your views. Who knows? Your opinion may be adopted and useful. Watch out and prepare to contribute!

MyInfoStride

Goodluck Jonathan: 30 August, 2010 at 10:37

QuoteLet me  today to thank all of you who have in your reactions and comments on this page urged me to run in the forth coming 2011 presidential elections. Like I said elsewhere, offering myself for further service is not my decision to make alone. It is one decision that I must take in solemn consultation with God Almighty and peoples constituencies across our nation. The decision must ultimately be based on clarity of conviction and vision.

It is in this regard that I want to thank the people of the North Central, South- South, North West, North East, South East and Southwest zones of the PDP for their encouragements, prayers and urgings.

We have launched the Power Road Map and have also made some progress in the areas of Electoral Reforms with the appointment of Prof. Jega, signing of the Electoral Act and the prompt release of 87.7 billion naira to INEC and peace in the Niger Delta with the commencement in Obudu of the reorientation of repentant militants.

I have also taken time to inform you of the progress made in tackling issues such as stimulating economic growth by providing generous credit facilities to the tune of 500 billion naira to the real sector, cleansing the financial sector with the signing into law of the AMCON Act to serve as a safety net against bad loans as well as the political support given to the head of the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) to take decisive action to protect investors in the capital market .

In the anti corruption war, I am pleased to state with a clear conscience that this administration has not interfered with the EFCC and the ICPC and I have instructed the Attorney General to treat EVERY Nigerian equally under the law with no sacred cows.

I also told you of the implementation of the one year Action Plan for the education sector to increase the capacity of the sector to attract funding and ensure that such funding is channelled into increasing the service delivery capacity of the sector.

Indeed I took time to enlighten you of our plans to pay living wages to ALL workers under the employ of the Federal Government in addition to the 150 billion naira set aside for the bail out of the textile industry with 30 billion naira of that already disbursed.

In addition to these, I gave you details of the progress we made in the aviation sector such that our efforts bore fruit with the Category 1 certification awarded  which means that Nigerian registered airlines and air crafts can now fly directly to ANY airport in the United States.

In the down stream sector of the oil industry I took the time to enlighten you of plans now in advanced stages to build new refineries so we can refine locally and export to fuel thirsty neighbours.

I also ordered the minister of Petroleum to clean up the sector so that exports can be maximized and further downstream to make fuel available in our filling stations.

I am constantly pleased to read your comments on this page testifying to the ease with which you now buy petrol for your cars.

These and many other programmes and plans I have shared with you to let you know that in as much as there is a frenzy of activities occasioned by the coming elections, I have not deviated from my primary responsibility which is to provide leadership for  that is geared towards maintaining law and order and ensuring the peace and economic progress of Nigeria and Nigerians.

I thank everyone and group that has so far endorsed me and this administration and say to you that your endorsement strengthens and inspires me to keep on serving Nigeria to the best of my abilities so help me God.

- GEJ

What is your comment?

MyInfoStride

Today another comment has been made by The President and I quote.

Goodluck Jonathan: 03 September, 2010 at 07:34

QuoteMost of you expressed delight with the Power Sector  but also indicated your anxieties that as good as they are they may go the way of previous reforms when there is a change of administration.

Yes, we have had that problem in the past and we have taken it into consideration which is why we have anchored these reforms by institutionalizing them with statutes which are firmly settled in our law books. Since these reforms are backed or will be backed by law, they have become the property of the Nigerian people.

This is why this administration is insisting on the respect and observance of the Rule of Law. If the reforms are Institutionalized and backed by law, everyone including state governments, civil society, the Private Sector, domestic financiers and global development partners can approach the Judiciary to ensure the institution is not tampered with.

Another thing we have done to make these reforms stand the test of time is consultation. Before we came up with these reforms, we consulted with all concerned parties including again local and state governments, civil society, the Private Sector, domestic and international financial partners and labour and professional unions.

We also engaged in multi-partisan consultation amongst the political elite which you also saw further demonstrated by the multi-partisan attendance at the unveiling of the Road Map.

Like Football all Nigerians are united in our insistence that "Let there be Light" in our country. So now that Nigerians have a Road Map that is securely anchored on laws, they now have the locus standi to approach the judiciary at any time if they feel that there is any interference to roll back or reverse the gains that have been made because though governments may come and go and individual whims and temperaments may change the law will remain and will be like the light house that guides the ship to shore.

Remember these are not Goodluck's Road Map, nor the PDP's Road Map. They are the Road Map for ALL Nigerians.

- GEJ

What is your comment?

MyInfoStride

Quote from: InfoStrides on Sep 03, 2010, 08:01 AM
Today another comment has been made by The President and I quote.

Goodluck Jonathan: 03 September, 2010 at 07:34

Here is my comment:

Power sector is now the most sensitive of our economy. If handled with care, fear of God, and respect for rule of law, it will surely be sanitised. Your excellency sir, It would nice if your administration concentrate on this sector and be a hero from it. If the challenges in the sector are overcome, many positive developments would be experienced in several other sectors of the economy. The dreams of industrialisation will be achieved. Unemployment will be an history. Fear of Insecurity will drastically reduced. Poverty will surely be surmounted. God Bless Nigeria.

Or what do you think?

MyInfoStride

Today another challenging comment was made by President Goodluck Jonathan and I quote.

Goodluck Jonathan: 04 September, 2010 at 07:00

QuoteMy brothers and sisters, I read your comments and some of you appear to have lost hope in elections.

Today I am asking you to have a renewed faith in Nigeria and her ability to conduct honest, free and fair elections that reflect the will of the people.

I am not asking you to have a faith that is based on nothing. No. ...I am asking you to have a faith in Nigeria that is grounded on the things that you see now happening in Nigeria of today. You see a new INEC. One that is not afraid to criticize me and the administration in authority when they feel that they have not gotten what they need; one that asks freely for every resource they need and gets it; one that is not stampeded to action but takes action at it's own pace because they know that they are independent.

We also have a new Electoral Act which makes it MANDATORY for ALL political parties to practise internal democracy which makes it virtually impossible for moneybags and godfathers to hijack the process.

Moreover, we now have provisions for elections to be held early enough such that disputes arising from it can be adjudicated by the Judiciary before the candidates are sworn in.

So, my fellow Nigerians, the era of the rule of law is finally and firmly upon us. We may not know what tomorrow holds, but we certainly know who holds tomorrow.

God holds tomorrow and from His mercies to Nigeria as indicated by the progress we have made in having secure institutions and established laws let us replace doubts with an informed hope.

- GEJ

Admin

Quote from: InfoStrides on Sep 04, 2010, 12:10 PM
Today another challenging comment was made by President Goodluck Jonathan and I quote.

Goodluck Jonathan: 04 September, 2010 at 07:00

This is well said. May God help and strengthen Nigerians to have renewed orientation that will lead the country forward and progressively.

MyInfoStride

Today another comment was made by President Goodluck Jonathan and I quote.

Goodluck Jonathan: 06 September, 2010 at 07:00

QuoteIn furtherance of keeping you up to date with my stewardship over Nigeria, I want you all to know that in as much as this government has placed priority in three areas-Electoral Reform, Power and The Niger Delta-we are still working to make progress in other areas.

For instance, Government has just ordered books on Mathematics, Science and English Language to be distributed FREELY to public primary schools nation wide.

I take seriously the responsibility to prepare the future generation for leadership because I have become what I am because of education and if we are to combat crime and other anti social activities effectively we must educate our young people so that they are employable when they come of age and can earn a living because they are educated. As such, a life of crime will not hold much attraction for them.

- GEJ

MyInfoStride

Goodluck Jonathan: 08 September, 2010 at 08:29

QuoteI am deeply committed to the power sector reform and my promise to improve on Nigeria's electricity generation and enjoyment by our citizens shall remain a bond.

Our goal is to celebrate one day, then one week, then one month and ultimately one year and so on of uninterrupted electricity supply in our country.

This is not an empty promise, because since 1896 when electricity was first generated in Ijora Lagos till this era we have never had so much invested in the power sector in terms of political will, human and financial resources as well as reputations of high political office holders.

Again, I am committed to this road map, but as I said to you last week, to really get this road map off and running we must see it not as a Jonathan or the PDP's road map but as Nigeria's road map.

As such, I request your feedback as we progress on this journey. Talk to me on this page. Be my ears and eyes in the fields and in your communities.

If you perceive any shortcomings on the part of the Presidential Task Force on Power, Local and International Contractors or any public servant involved in the power sector, please bring it to my attention.

The buck stops at my desk and there will be no buck passing while God permits me to serve you and our country Nigeria.

- GEJ

MyInfoStride

This is a thoughtful and remarkable comment from President Goodluck Jonathan on religious tolerance and peaceful co-existence. Read and share with others.

Goodluck Jonathan: 08 September, 2010 at 19:07

QuoteIt has been brought to my attention that Pastor Terry Jones of the Dove World Outreach USA plans to burn copies of the Qur'an sometime in September this year.

I hereby urge authorities in the United States and men and women of goodwill around the world to prevail on Pastor Jones not to do anything that would assault the sensibilities of our Muslim brothers and sisters. This action can not be justified at anytime and certainly is doubly unjustified coming at the holy month of Ramadan.

I would urge Pastor Jones to be mindful of the Golden Rule taught by Jesus Christ: Do unto others as you would want others to do unto you.

To my Muslim brothers and sisters, I urge you to show restraint while we deal with this issue as we continue to build and strengthen our fortress for religious tolerance and continuing peaceful co-existence.

- GEJ

MyInfoStride

Goodluck Jonathan: 10 September, 2010 at 15:34

QuoteMy fellow Nigerians, as I have said on this page and in public several times, the life of every Nigerian is the greatest of value to me. Your security is of utmost importance. The oath I swore to on the day I took office as President compels me to do what is proper in the interest of our country and citizens, therefore, I will use every constitutional power I have to protect the well being of Nigerians and the Nigerian nation.

The recent disturbances in some parts of the country leading to avoidable loss of lives is one too many. Our armed forces and security agencies have my total support in the performance of their duties, nevertheless, going forward it is not sufficient for us to be reactive on issues concerning the security of lives and property as well as the maintenance of law and order.

My expectations is that our armed forces and security agencies should be PROACTIVE. We must employ intelligence to nip crises at the bud even before it can occur. Bearing this in mind I have communicated my expectations to the new heads of our security apparatuses and it is my expectation that we would now experience a greater level of security of lives and property in ALL parts of Nigeria.

Not stopping there, I am also working with my cabinet and the entire governmental structure to improve the economy, pay living wages to workers, fight corruption, improve access to and quality of education and to provide stable power to jump start the real sector thus create much needed jobs.

This we are doing because we know that the real cause of insecurity and civil disturbances is poverty which brings economic and social pressures to bear on the masses resulting in incidences of insecurity and civil disturbances.

Government must work for your good.

- GEJ

MyInfoStride