The South African Medical Research Council (MRC) invites applications for six (6) Research Fellowships in Health Research. This Career Development Programme is a partnership between the MRC and the Tertiary Education sector. The purpose of the Research Fellowship is to build research capacity and scientific leadership by creating new positions for senior Post-Doctoral scientists that have demonstrated a potential to become established researchers. Preference will be given to proposals that address Public Health and Environmental Health research priorities in the country. The six Research Fellows will be appointed for a period of 2 years commencing in Jan 2011, with the option to extend for a further 2 years subject to satisfactory performance and the availability of funds.
• Interested individuals must submit a full application to the MRC no later than 15 July 2010.
• Applications must include a full research proposal, 3 referee's reports, and written commitment from the employing institution to provide the infrastructure, top-up salary and matching contribution towards the running expenses for the research project.
• Where the Fellow is to be appointed in an MRC in-house programme, the written commitment must be provided by the Unit or Group Director.
• Applications will be sent out for peer-review and the applicants will be informed of the outcome of the application by September /October 2010, for uptake of the Grant in Jan 2011.
• Applicants may be subjected to an interview before a final decision is made.
• Be South African Citizens or in possession of Permanent Residency
• Have a research doctorate and post-doctoral research experience
• Apply within at least 5 years of obtaining a research doctorate.
Applicants will be considered on the strength of proven research experience equivalent to a senior post-doctoral research scientist. Preference will be given to applicants from the historically disadvantaged groups and Institutions. Applicants from Universities of Technology are encouraged to apply.
Application form (https://www.ru.ac.za/documents/Research/Career%20Award%20-%20Application%20Form.doc) can be found here (https://www.ru.ac.za/documents/Research/Career%20Award%20-%20Application%20Form.doc).
Click here (https://www.ru.ac.za/documents/Research/Career%20awards%202010%20CALL%20FOR%20APPLICATIONS.doc) for more information.