7 reasons why it’s OK to be single during Christmas Holidays

Started by emezico, Dec 04, 2012, 04:12 AM

emezico

Being single during the holidays gets a bad rap. It's easy to feel depressed about not having a special guy in your life, especially with happy couples constantly around you. Sure, having a guy would be nice, but why drag yourself down during a wonderful time of the year over something you can't change at the moment? Rather than revel in misery, there are plenty of reasons why being single during the winter months can actually be a really great thing.

You can use the money on yourself

A 2010 survey by the American Psychological Society found that 61 percent of people are stressed out during the Christmas holidays because of finances. Spend hundreds of dollars on a present for a guy? No thanks! Buy yourself something pretty instead that, chances are, is a lot less expensive than what you would get for a guy. If there's anyone who's worth it, it's you, so take advantage of all those sales and get yourself something you've been wanting for awhile.

No stressful gift giving

In addition to saving money on gift giving, you also don't have to stress about what to give a guy or his family. It's caused me nothing but stress almost every year I was dating someone, especially if I asked the guy what I should get for one of his relatives, and he said, "Uh, I don't know. They'll like whatever you give." This season, the biggest decision you'll have to make is what to get yourself.

You don't have to deal with a guy's family

Whenever you're dating a guy, especially around the holidays, you'll likely have no choice but to interact with his family. If his family loves you and vice versa that's one thing, but if that's not the case or they don't yet know you well enough, the situation can be one giant ball of stress. When you're single, the only family you have to worry about dealing with is your own, and at least you already know the crazy you're in for.

You don't have extra holiday obligations

There never seems to be enough time as it is, and during the holidays, there seems to be even less. It can take a huge toll on your stress level, and 34 percent of people claim the lack of time to do everything during the holidays is their biggest stressor. Scheduling social obligations is stressful enough without adding those of another person to the mix. As enjoyable as the outings are, whenever I'm dating someone during the holidays, there are so many parties, events, and get-togethers that it starts to feel more like work, rather than fun. Being single means you only need to manage your own invitations.

You don't have to entertain a guy

I always feel bad when I take a guy I'm dating somewhere and he doesn't know anyone else. It's a slightly awkward situation when he's attached to your hip for the duration of the event. I've been annoyed or upset at the guy because I just needed some space, and there he was the entire time. You don't have to worry about entertaining a guy whenever you hit up a holiday event solo or with friends. Do your own thing and talk to whomever you want without obligation.

You can eat without the guilt

Want another small slice of pie at the holiday party? Go for it! A whopping 60 percent of women reportedly don't like to eat in front of their partners. When you're single, you don't have to worry about that at all, so chow down and have some holiday treats without the discomfort of having to eat in front of a guy you're dating.

You can flirt with whomever you please

There's mistletoe everywhere! Why not take advantage of it by sharing a smooch with a cute guy? Use holiday events as your chance to flirt to your heart's content with any good-looking guy who catches your eye.

Being single during the holidays is what you make of it. Don't spend this wonderful time of the year moping around. Put out a positive vibe and focus on enjoying the season, and you could end up attracting a new guy by the end of the year.