Nigerian appointed first black police commander in London (PHOTO)

Started by emezico, May 29, 2012, 04:29 AM

emezico

A United Kingdom-based Nigerian and a Chief Superintendent with the London Metropolitan Police, Mr. Victor Olisa, has been appointed as the first black commander for Bexley local council in London.

"Policing runs in the family and I have always wanted to be a police officer and ethnicity does not affect that" Olisa told the Europe Correspondent of the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in his reaction on the appointment in London.

Olisa, whose grandfather was a police officer in Nigeria, said his focus was on the job rather than on being the ``first black'' adding that his ethnicity never affected the way he carried out his duties.

"I consider myself first and foremost a police officer. If (being black) is an advantage, then brilliant; If it's a disadvantage, I will have to deal with that, I can't hide it.''

Olisa said a lot was being done to address racism within the force, adding that it was the responsibility of the force to correct wrongs and not an institution for people with racist views. 

"I am impeccably against anyone who uses racist language or behaves in a racist manner. This will not be allowed under my watch.

"I believe that everyone should be treated with dignity wherever they come from,'' Olisa said.

Olisa, 52, born in Warri, Delta, is one of the three chief superintendents from black minority ethnic background working for the Metropolitan Police.

He started his career in Surrey Police in 1982 before transferring to the City of London Police in 1990 as detective inspector in the Fraud Squad.

After a spell at the Home Office, he transferred to the Metropolitan police in 2006 as a superintendent in Southwark Council before his recent appointment.

The Nation