Entertaining tips and tricks: Do game day right this spring

Started by BrandPoint, Mar 19, 2014, 09:31 PM

BrandPoint

(BPT) - Spring is one of the best times of the year for many reasons. The light at the end of winter's tunnel, it conjures images of beaches, picnics, barbecues and more. For sports fans, it's also one of the busiest times of the year. Professional baseball is just getting started, the playoff races for professional basketball and hockey are in full swing and, of course, the men's college basketball tournament has people following brackets and games rather than working.

There are many exciting games during the spring and, unfortunately, it's nearly impossible to catch them all. But you can still have a great time watching from home if you do it the right way. In fact, hosting family and friends to watch the big game is an American tradition. According to the results of a recent LG survey, 78 percent of Americans host a home viewing, or 'staygating,' party in their homes at least once a year.

Basketball legend Clyde Drexler offers his tips for organizing the ultimate game day party, whatever game you're watching:

* TV - It used to be that size was all that matters. Detail is now just as important, and LG has some larger screen sizes with four times the detail of regular 1080p HDTVs, called Ultra HD TVs. It's also important to have a TV with wide viewing angles, so everyone gets the same picture quality, no matter where they are sitting.

* Seating arrangements - The best way to ensure everyone has a clear view of the action is to offer seating at different heights, theater-style. A mix of sofa seating, side chairs, bar stools and even floor pillows will keep fans of all sizes in the game.

* Food, food and more food - Drexler likes a variety of tastes. 'Aim for lots of options, but coming from a barbecue background, I always like to have dry rubbed ribs like we used to make at my family's restaurant in Houston,' he says.

* Easy access - Make entertaining as simple as possible by stocking your fridge a few days in advance. Consider using appliances that will help you save time, like LG's super-capacity fridge that features a magnetically sealed 'door in door' section for fast, easy access to commonly reached-for items.

* The people - In the end, sports are about bringing people together to have fun - whether you're playing in the game or cheering on your team from home - so invite people you care about, and who care about the game. 'My job as a color commentator keeps me from watching a lot of games with my family during basketball season, so I relish every opportunity to enjoy a game with them when I can,' Drexler says.

With these plans in place, you can turn on the TV, settle back into your seat, grab your favorite beverage and enjoy the game with your friends and family. Drexler also shared the recipe for his own baby back ribs to enjoy during your next sports gathering:

Clyde Drexler's Baby Back Ribs

Ingredients:

3 ounces light brown sugar

2 tablespoons ground coriander

4 teaspoons cayenne pepper

2 teaspoons ground black pepper

1 teaspoon fresh thyme, finely chopped

1 teaspoon fresh rosemary, finely chopped

4 teaspoons garlic powder

2 teaspoons onion powder

1 rack of pork ribs

1 teaspoon salt

Directions:

Mix the brown sugar, coriander, cayenne pepper, black pepper, thyme, rosemary, garlic powder and onion powder in a bowl. Adjust the seasonings to best match your family's taste. Sprinkle the rub on the ribs and let it sit for at least 30 minutes. If cooking in the oven, cover the sheet pan with aluminum foil, taking care to tent the top, so that the rub does not stick to the foil. Then, place pan on the center rack of the oven for 2 hours at 250 F. If using a grill, put the ribs in a preheated grill for 3 hours at 375 F. Flip as needed, but not too often. The bone should protrude 3/4 inch to 1 1/2 inches from the meat. Add your favorite barbecue sauce a couple minutes before you take them off the grill/out of the oven.