No regrets not bringing Messi over Nigeria Defeat- Sergio Basista

Started by emezico, Jun 03, 2011, 11:04 AM

emezico

Argentina coach Sergio Basista has said he has no regrets not inviting Barcelona superstar, Lionel Messi, and other big players for Wednesday's friendly match against Nigeria in Abuja.

The Super Eagles beat the Argentines 4-1 in the encounter.

Real Zaragoza's Ike Uche scored two goals while Obinna Nsofor rifled home from the spot to give Nigeria a three- goal lead at half time.

Fenerbahce's new signing Emmanuel Emenike scored the fourth goal in the second half while the South Americans pulled one back through a penalty in injury time.

Batista said he would not make excuses for the humiliating defeat.

The Mexico'86 World Cup winner said, "We played against a better team on the day. There was nothing we could have done because I came here (Abuja) with tested players.

"I have no regrets not bringing Messi and others because we are involved in a long process of rebuilding our team.

"Everybody cannot be in the team same time. I felt it was tight for Messi to be here because of the Champions League final and the players here are good, but they failed to raise their game.

"Nobody likes to lose. We wanted to win but the preparation was short. We trained only twice for this match and that affected the understanding of the players on the pitch."

Speaking through an interpreter, Batista insisted that there was need to plan for the future.

"Building a solid team is not easy. You have to try out many players in various roles. We have learnt from this game and will use that for the future," he stressed.

Source: The Punch