NOUN graduates lament challenges

Started by Sunexx360, Jan 19, 2013, 09:15 PM

Sunexx360

Some graduands of the National Open University of Nigeria (NOUN) on Saturday expressed dissatisfaction at the delay in completing programmes in the institution.
They spoke in interviews with the News Agency of Nigeria at the second convocation ceremony of the university at the National Theatre, Iganmu, Lagos.
A total of 7,220 students graduated at the ceremony attended by dignitaries, including the Minister of Education, Prof. Ruquayyatu Rufai, who represented President Goodluck Jonathan.
The graduands were awarded certificates, diplomas and degrees at the event.
One of the graduands, Mr Peter Oladosun, who studied Peace and Conflict Resolution at degree level, expressed displeasure that he spent six years instead of four years.
Oladosun also expressed regret over the inadequate number of facilitators for the distance education.
"We were told when we were admitted that there were facilitators who would be helping us; but that was not the case as we had facilitators only for the first two years.''
He also said that students had no specific study centres in Lagos but moved around for lectures.
" NOUN, Lagos, needs a permanent study centre,'' he said.
Mr Itseghosimhe Iyesomi, who studied nursing, told NAN that some students were not computer literate but had to take examinations online.
He said that this affected the performance of such students.
Mrs Beatrice Nwachukwu, who studied Business Studies, expressed dissatisfaction with the organisation of the convocation ceremony.
She said that there were not enough materials for the graduands.
"People were struggling over the few available ones.
"Though I am happy being a graduate today, the general management of this event was poor.
"I think the major cause of the poor organisation was the lack of adequate funding," she said.
Nwachukwu called for adequate funding to ensure that the institution functioned effectively.
However, Mr Donatus Agu, who studied Peaceand Conflict Resolution at the Master's level, told NAN that he was happy to graduate in spite of the challenges.
He said that he acquired much knowledge and exposure during the programme.
"My course was a two-year programme, and Iconcluded it within the given period,'' he said.

Sunexx360