Pursue Your Passion

Started by dia2dream, Oct 24, 2009, 05:27 AM

dia2dream

Pursue Your Passion (and Help Others, Too)
Helping others can also be the foundation of a hobby-turned-business. That's what Ketra Oberlander, 46, had in mind for Art of Possibility Studios, an art brand agency that represents handicapped artists. An avid art collector for many years, Oberlander suffered from a vision disorder that caused her sight to fail in her late 30s. But at 40, compelled to express her creativity after years as a writer and editor, she picked up a paint brush and started a second career as an artist.

A few years later, she decided to start a business to help artists in similar situations. Despite the obstacles, she never doubted her eventual success. "I knew there was a path to profitability; I just had to figure out what it was," she says, adding that with mentorship from her peers in the art community, AOP Studios is running smoothly.

"It's a terrible time to start a business," Oberlander admits, "but what I'm doing matters, so I've got to make time for that." And like Rothacker and the Dements, she is optimistic. "I'm not cash-flow positive, but I am making money and making deals in a down economy," she says. "It's going to work. The question is how big and how fast?"

Her advice is to make sure your passion is real. "You've got to love it on a level deeper than a pastime you enjoy," she says. "There are obstacles, there are disappointments, there are setbacks, there are victories, and you've got to be able to have something that makes all of that worth it." And be nimble. Noting that she has made significant changes to her business plan and operations along the way, "You have to be able to learn and [then] apply it," Oberlander says.

Finally, take that leap of faith. "There's no school like just doing it," she says. "At some point, everyone who goes from a hobby to a business has to say, 'Well, my friends and family want to give me money, so maybe people I don't know will want to give me money for it, too.' And you just show up and do what it takes to find out."

Good luck, Dare You to Dream! join us on facebook... dare2dream

info@dia2dream.com

dia2dream

Olisa

İn the midst of many challenges may God give us the strenght to excel and succeed ın our passion which is our calling

walax

Quote from: Olisa on Aug 19, 2012, 11:03 AM
İn the midst of many challenges may God give us the strenght to excel and succeed ın our passion which is our calling
Amen!!!

walax