(http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/j/MSNBC/Components/Photo/_new/121115-lord-mcalpine-715a.photoblog600.jpg)Reuters fileIn this file photo, Lord McAlpine, left, former treasurer of the Conservative Party and actor Edward Fox pose for photographers, while launching a poster campaign for the Referendum Party in Brighton, on Oct. 18, 1996.By NBC News staff and wire reportsA senior UK politician wrongly implicated in a child intercourse abuse scandal by the BBC, is likely to reach a legal settlement soon and may sue individuals who named him on Twitter, his lawyer said.
Lawyer Andrew Reid told the BBC that a deal between Alistair McAlpine and the broadcaster was expected later Thursday.
The BBC has already apologized for linking McAlpine, a member of the House of Lords, to child intercourse abuse that happened decades ago in Wales. The mistaken report, broadcast nearly two weeks ago, has caused turmoil within BBC management ranks and led to the resignation of its chief.
McAlpine, 70, told BBC radio he had been shocked by the report, which did not directly name him but led to Internet chatter about his purported role.
NBCNews