By Erika Solomon, ReutersBEIRUT, Lebanon --- Dozens of people were killed and many more wounded in an airstrike that hit a Syrian bakery where a large crowd was waiting in line for bread on Sunday, activists said.
If confirmed, it would be one of the deadliest air strikes of Syria's civil war.
"There is no way to really know yet how many people were killed. When I got there, I could see piles of bodies all over the ground. There were women and children," said Samer al-Hamawi, an activist in the town of Halfaya. "There are also dozens of wounded people."
Follow @NBCNewsWorld (https://twitter.com/NBCNewsWorld)
Rami Abdelrahman, of the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, also said the death toll was still very unclear.
"From looking at the videos, I expect the death toll to be around or above 50, and not higher than 100. But for now I am keeping my estimate at dozens killed, until we have more information," he said.
Halfaya, in the central province of Hama, had been seized by rebels last week in a push to seize new territory in their 21-month-old revolt against President Bashar al-Assad.
NBCNews