Algeria's prime minister says a Canadian coordinated the attack leading to a bloody hostage-taking and siege. Extremists used rocket-propelled grenades and mortars to take over a gas plant. NBC's Keir Simmons reports that there are still an unknown number of Americans among the victims.By John Newland, Staff Writer, NBC NewsA Canadian national coordinated the Islamist militant attack on a gas plant in Algeria where dozens of foreign workers were taken hostage and at least 37 were slain, Algerian Prime Minister Abdelmalek Sellal told a Monday news conference.
Sellal said Monday that 37 foreign workers from eight nations had been killed and another five were still missing. He also said 29 militants were killed with three captured alive, Reuters reported.
He was speaking as dramatic stories began to emerge from hostages who escaped the bloody end to the siege at the Tiguentourine plant near In Amenas.
NBCNews