The InfoStride Forum

NEWS and REPORTS => World News => Topic started by: NewsCaster on Jan 25, 2013, 07:30 AM

Title: Breaking News - Al-Qaida in Yemen's second-in-command reported killed in drone strike
Post by: NewsCaster on Jan 25, 2013, 07:30 AM
(http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/j/ap/yemen-668417293_v2.photoblog600.jpg)APSaeed al-Shihri, deputy leader of al-Qaida in the Arabian Peninsula in a photo from undated video posted on a militant-leaning Web site in January 2009, and provided by the SITE Intelligence Group. By Ahmed al Haj, The Associated PressSANAA, Yemen — Al-Qaida's No. 2 in Yemen died in a U.S. drone attack last year in southern Yemen, the country's official news agency and a security official said Thursday.

Saeed al-Shihri, a Saudi national who fought in Afghanistan and spent six years in the U.S. military prison at Guantanamo Bay, was wounded in a missile attack in the southern city of Saada on Oct. 28, according to SABA news agency.

Follow @NBCNewsWorld (https://twitter.com/NBCNewsWorld)  



The agency said that he had fallen into a coma since then. It was not clear when he actually died.

A security official said that the missile had been fired by a U.S.-operated, unmanned drone aircraft. He spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to speak to the press.

NBCNews