The InfoStride Forum

NEWS and REPORTS => World News => Topic started by: NBCNews on Jan 27, 2013, 10:30 PM

Title: World's Tip - Egyptian president imposes state of emergency in 3 cities after deadly clashes
Post by: NBCNews on Jan 27, 2013, 10:30 PM
(http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/j/MSNBC/Components/Photo/_new/130127-egypt-hmed-11a.photoblog600.jpg)Asmaa Waguih / ReutersProtesters against Egypt's President Mohamed Morsi run from tear gas fired by riot police during clashes near Tahrir Square in Cairo on Sunday.

Follow @NBCNewsWorld (https://twitter.com/NBCNewsWorld)  By ReutersCAIRO - Egyptian President Mohammed Morsi said Sunday that he was imposing a state of  emergency for 30 days in three cities along the Suez Canal that have been the  scene of the worst violence that flared at the weekend, killing more than 45  people.

Morsi made the announcement in a televised address in which he  said a curfew would also be introduced in Port Said, Ismailia and Suez starting  Monday from 9 p.m. to 6 a.m. local time. He also called for dialogue  with top politicians.  Four people were shot dead and hundreds were injured in  Egypt's Port Said on Sunday during the funerals of 33 protesters killed at the  weekend, part of a wave of violence.  A total of 46 people have been killed in demonstrations around  the country since Thursday and his opponents have called for more protests on  Monday.  



"Down, down Morsi, down down the regime that killed and tortured  us!" people in Port Said chanted as the coffins of those killed on Saturday were  carried through the streets.  

Port Said's head of hospitals, Abdel Rahman  Farag, told Reuters an 18-year-old man and three other people died from gunshot  wounds on Sunday. More than 429 people suffered from tear gas inhalation, while  38 were wounded by gunshots, he said.

Gunshots had killed many of the 33  who died on Saturday when residents went on the rampage after a court sentenced  21 people, mostly from the Mediterranean port, to death for their role in deadly  soccer violence at a stadium there last year.

A military source said  many people in Port Said, which lies next to the increasingly lawless Sinai  Peninsula, possess guns. But it was not clear who was behind the deaths and  injuries.

Tear gas fired at protesters

In Cairo, police fired tear gas at dozens of stone-throwing  protesters in a fourth day of clashes over what demonstrators there and in other  cities say is a power grab by Islamists two years after Hosni Mubarak was  overthrown.

The protesters accuse Morsi, elected in June with the  support of his Muslim Brotherhood group, of betraying the democratic goals of  the revolution. Most of the deaths since Thursday were in Port Said and Suez,  both cities where the army has now been deployed.

The violence adds to  the daunting task facing Morsi as he tries to fix a beleaguered economy and cool  tempers before a parliamentary election expected in the next few months which is  supposed to cement Egypt's transition to democracy.

It has exposed a  deep rift in the nation. Liberals and other opponents accuse Morsi of failing to  deliver on economic promises and say he has not lived up to pledges to represent  all Egyptians. His backers say the opposition is seeking to topple Egypt's first  freely elected leader by undemocratic means.

Although Sunday's violence  was less severe than the previous two days, Morsi may have little respite. The  opposition Popular Current and other groups have called for more protests on  Monday to mark what was one of the bloodiest days of the 2011 uprising.

The Popular Current, led by leftist Hamdeen Sabahy, said it "denounces  the state of silence of the presidency and the government during the sad events  that the country went through the past 48 hours".

On a bridge close to Tahrir Square, youths hurled stones at police in  riot gear who fired teargas to push them back towards the square, the cauldron  of the uprising that erupted on January 25, 2011 and toppled Mubarak 18 days  later.

"None of the revolution's goals have been realized," said Mohamed  Sami, a protester in Cairo's Tahrir Square on Sunday.

"Prices are going  up. The blood of Egyptians is being spilt in the streets because of neglect and  corruption and because the Muslim Brotherhood is ruling Egypt for their own  interests."

Clashes also erupted in other streets near the square. The  U.S. and British embassies, both close to Tahrir, said they were closed for  public business on Sunday, normally a working day.

The army, Egypt's  interim ruler until Morsi's election, was sent back onto the streets to restore  order in Port Said and Suez, which both lie on the Suez canal. In Suez, at least  eight people were killed in clashes with police.

Egypt's defense  minister who also heads the army, Abdel Fattah al-Sissi, called for the nation  to stand together and said the military would not prevent peaceful protests. But  he called on demonstrators to protect public property.

Many ordinary  Egyptians are frustrated by the regular escalations that have hurt the economy  and their livelihoods.

"They are not revolutionaries protesting," said  taxi driver Kamal Hassan, 30, referring to those gathered in Tahrir. "They are  thugs destroying the country."

Call for dialogue

The National  Defense Council, headed by Morsi, called on Saturday for national dialogue to  discuss political differences.

That offer has been cautiously welcomed  by the opposition National Salvation Front. But the coalition has demanded a  clear agenda and guarantees that any agreements will be implemented.

The  Front, formed late last year when Morsi provoked protests and violence by  expanding his powers and driving through an Islamist-tinged constitution, has  threatened to boycott the parliamentary poll and call for more protests if its  demands are not met, including for an early presidential vote.

Egypt's  transition has been blighted from the outset by political rows and turbulence on  the streets that have driven investors out and kept many tourists away. Its  currency, the pound, has steadily weakened against the dollar.

 

Related:  At least 30 killed in clashes over Egypt soccer disaster (http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/01/26/16705250-at-least-30-die-in-clashes-over-egypt-soccer-disaster-verdict?lite)  Copyright 2013 Thomson Reuters. Click for restrictions (http://thomsonreuters.com/products_services/media/brand_guidelines/legal_notice/).

NBC News