Roberto Martinez has been given permission to leave Wigan and will now hold talks with Everton about succeeding David Moyes.
.
The 39-year-old Spaniard led the Latics to a historic FA Cup triumph this season but could not prevent their relegation from the Premier League.
.
Wigan chairman Dave Whelan said Everton contacted him last Friday to ask for talks with Martinez.
.
"Roberto wanted permission to move. So I've given that," added Whelan.
.
Roberto Martinez factfile
Age: 39
Playing career: Real Zaragoza (1993-94), Balaguer (94-95), Wigan Athletic (95-2001), Motherwell (01-02), Walsall (02-03), Swansea (03-06), Chester City (06-07).
Playing honours: Copa del Rey (1994), Football League Third Division (1997), Football League Trophy (1999 & 2006)
Managerial career: Swansea (2007-09) and Wigan Athletic (2009-13).
Managerial honours: Football League One (2008) & FA Cup (2013).
.
"He feels he's not the man to lead us back into the Premier League. I've got to accept what he feels. He loves Wigan and the fans. We have to move on now and want applications for the job."
.
Whelan told BBC Radio 5 live on Tuesday afternoon:
.
"Roberto has resigned. We are going to release him."
.
However Wigan later released a statement saying Martinez remained their manager but had been given permission to talk to another club.
.
Whelan also said that Martinez has 12 months left on his contract, so "whoever comes in for him must pay the remainder of his contract".
.
Everton are searching for a new manager following the impending departure of Moyes to Manchester United. The Scot is due to take over officially at Old Trafford on 1 July.
.
Whelan suggested earlier this month that Goodison Park would not be a likely destination for Martinez, saying: "Whenever he wants to go, I'll release him immediately, but he'll only go to a big, big club and I don't think Everton are big enough."
.
But, on Tuesday, Whelan told BBC Radio 5 live: "I did tell Roberto before I spoke to him this morning that Everton chairman Bill Kenwright had rung me on Friday and asked for permission to speak to him.
I am sure all Wigan fans would understand his decision. It's about time he moved to another club to prove himself.