The InfoStride Forum

NEWS and REPORTS => World News => Topic started by: iolsa on May 03, 2012, 10:01 PM

Title: Hammerl DNA quest hits a snag
Post by: iolsa on May 03, 2012, 10:01 PM
The Libyan government has yet to decide where to send DNA samples collected from bodies found in a mass grave, one of which could be that of photographer Anton Hammerl.

The Ministry of Martyrs, Wounded and the Missing has more than 100 DNA samples in storage that were collected after a mass grave was exhumed in early March near the town of Bin Jawwad.

One of those samples is from a corpse that fits the profile of Hammerl, who was killed by pro-Gaddafi troops on April 5 last year.  

Hospital records link the body to that of a white male of Hammerl's height, with black hair, and who died around the same date.

But while the genetic material was gathered nearly two months ago, a spokeswoman for the ministry said a decision had to be made as to where the samples would be taken for analysis.  

Initially, it was believed the genetic material would be sent to the International Commission for Missing Persons, which has laboratories in Bosnia.  

The commission's members were reportedly made aware of the samples.  

"The decision needs to be made whether the samples are to be analysed here in Libya or sent to another country," said Mervat Mhani, the international affairs spokeswoman at the ministry.  

She said this decision could be made in a matter of days.

Mhani added that the ministry had to obtain consent from the relatives of those who had died to analyse the material.  

"This is not a straightforward process. That can't be done without a legal framework."

Samples also had to be obtained from relatives of the dead for DNA matches.  

South African authorities have already supplied the ministry with DNA material from Hammerl's parents.  

The mass grave in Bin Jawwad was exhumed by family members  

and supervised by the ministry.

The corpse suspected to be that of Hammerl was found together with a lens.  

However, those who have seen the lens don't think it belongs to a camera and suspect it may instead have been a part of a pair of binoculars. A total of 170 bodies were exhumed.

shaun.smillie@inl.co.za

The Star



IOL News