The InfoStride Forum

NEWS and REPORTS => Nigerian News => Topic started by: DT on Oct 16, 2012, 07:30 AM

Title: Jonathan says destruction by flood beyond FG’s capacity… Visits Yola, promises better life for flood victims
Post by: DT on Oct 16, 2012, 07:30 AM
President Goodluck Jonathan yesterday said the level of destruction caused by flood across the country was "very alarming" and beyond the capacity of the federal government.  

Jonathan said this in Lau, Taraba, when he visited areas devastated  by the flood.  

A Presidential Committee, according to him, had been set up to solicit for assistance from the international community, saying the European Union and the World Bank had indicated willingness to assist Nigeria.

He assured the flood victims that the federal government would provide them with the necessary assistance to enable them to return to their homes.

``I have flown over the areas affected by the flood and seen the level of destruction.''

He said farmers would also be given early maturing seeds to ensure that they harvested their crops early enough to avoid any kind of disaster.

In Yola in Adamawa State also yesterday, Jonathan visited victims of flood disaster and promised them government support to return to normal life.

The president, who was in Gurin, Fufore local government council area, said relevant agencies have been directed to take measures that would ensure that flood victims recover from the effects of the disaster.

"On behalf of the government of Nigeria, I assure you that we will do our best. Relevant  agencies including the Army Medical Personnel have been mobilized to take care of flood victims,"  Jonathan said.

Daily Trust