National honours: Jonathan to withdraw undeserved awards

Started by DT, Sep 18, 2012, 08:30 AM

DT

. Taraba dep gov loses OON

President Goodluck Jonathan has directed the national honours committee   to retrieve honours from recipients whose subsequent actions failed   short of the conduct expected of national award honourees.

Jonathan disclosed this in Abuja during the investiture ceremonies where 149 Nigerians, including five paralympians received different categories of award, saying the process has already begun. He said he had directed the committee to "compile a list of those unworthy" of award so that such honours will be withdrawn to safeguard the integrity of the award.

The president defended the selection process, stressing that with over 150 million Nigerians, 4, 275 Nigerians who have received the award since inception have fallen short of the number that deserve national recognition.

"We are convinced that the National Honours Award is a very important part of the symbols of the country's values and pride. Whilst government is always pleased to admit deserving persons into the ranks of those honoured by Nigeria, all holders must not fall short of our collective expectations. The dignity, honour and respect of the National Honours must never be tarnished.

{loadposition user30}

"In light of the foregoing, I have directed that the National Honours Committee compile a list of persons conferred with the National Honours but that their current credibility is questionable.

"If they are found wanting, our prestigious Honours will be withdrawn. This is essential in ensuring that holders of National Honours are truly worthy representations of our nation, chains of values and honour, and especially are patriotic Nigerians or real friends of our dear land.''

Two two retired legal luminaries, Justices Kayode Esho and Andrews Otutu Obaseki who were awarded Commander of the Federal Republic (CFR), the third highest national honours failed to attend or send representatives to the event.

It was not clear whether they had turned down the offer since there was no official notice from them to that effect. As a result of their absence, their awards were returned to the Chairman, National Honours Award and former Chief Justice of the Federation, Justice Alfa Mohammed Belgore (rtd).

But Daily Trust learnt that the national honours of OON conferred on the Deputy Governor of Taraba State, Sani Abubakar Danladi, had been withdrawn on the eve of the investiture, allegedly on the prompting of the state government which recommended him for the award inter alia.

A source close to the Taraba Government House said Governor Danbaba Suntai who was awarded CON yesterday recommended the withdrawal on the grounds that the deputy governor had been served impeachment notice by the state House of Assembly on alleged corrupt practices and abuse of office.

"We understand that he (Danladi) was denied the honour on Sunday night as a result of protest from home...You know he is presently at loggerheads with Governor Danbaba Dan Fulani Suntai and the state assembly is even planning to impeach him," the source said.

Danladi who was said to have been screened for the award before it was withdrawn did not attend the ceremony to be conferred. Attempts by Daily Trust to obtain his reaction yesterday failed as he neither answered a call nor respond to an SMS sent to him.

But a source close to the deputy governor said the impeachment and withdrawal of honours were for political reasons.

Chief Press Secretary to the Taraba State governor Hassan Umar Mijinyawa said he was with the governor and would not be able to talk to our correspondent. He did not answer subsequent call to his mobile and also failed to reply an SMS.

Also, the state commissioner for information Mr. Emma Bello neither answered his call nor replied an SMS.

Meanwhile President Jonathan took turn to defend the GCON award conferred on billionaire businessman Mike Adenuga, pointing out that Adenuga has created hundreds of thousands of jobs for Nigerians.

According to the president, Adenuga's telecommunication company Globacom directly provides means of livelihood for 100, 000 Nigerians comprising staff, retailers, dealers, sub-contractors and their dependents.

"He worked hard to establish Globacom as an international communication company which provides means of livelihood to over 100,000 Nigerians. Today across Ghana, Benin Republic, he has built a formidable brand and is expanding footholds in Cote d'Ivoire and Senegal.

"Adenuga has contributed immensely to the growth of our economy and we will continue to honour our businessmen who do us proud."

He said Nigerians need to engage in value reorientation and embrace attitudinal change for the nation to move forward, just as he charged recipients to see the award as a "unique responsibility and a call for greater commitment and sacrifice."

While calling on them to see the award as a privilege and not a right, President Jonathan urged all Nigerians to fully participate in the selection process of future awards.

President also commended the five paralympian gold medallists whose names he included on the honours list for "their exceptional courage" saying the gesture was part of his administration's relentless efforts at re-awakening the country's sports sector.

The paralympians who received the Member of the Order of the Niger (MON) award were Obiji Loveline, Ivorie Nwokorie, Esther Oyomo, Joy Onalapo, Anozie Grace Ebere and Yakubu Adesokon.

Those at the event which took place at the International Conference Centre were General Yakubu Gowon, Chief Ernest Shonekan, and Chief Justice of the Federation Justice Aloma Muktar and former EFCC boss Farida Waziri.

 

Daily Trust