24 killed in Maiduguri

Started by DT, Oct 19, 2012, 03:31 AM

DT

At least 54 people were reported killed in separate incidents in Maiduguri on Monday night and a village in Benue State on Sunday.  In the Borno State violence, the Joint Task Force yesterday said it shot dead 24 suspected Boko Haram fighters after repelling Monday night's multiple attacks in Maiduguri.

Spokesman for JTF Lt.-Col. Sagir Musa said in a statement insurgents used rocket-propelled grenades and improvised explosive devices during the attacks.

"Suspected Boko Haram terrorists launched attacks with rocket propellers, grenades and IEDs and gunfires at different locations in Maiduguri on Monday night. The locations are Zannari, Lagos Street and Gwange General Area," he said.

"They used civilian residences and homes as launch areas for the attacks at different times," he said.

Musa said that the attacks were all repelled by the JTF and no soldier or civilian was killed.

"All the attacks were repelled, no soldier or civilian was killed. Twenty four suspected terrorists were killed," he said.

Musa said a number of weapons were recovered by the JTF after the operation.

"The following items were recovered: one RPG tube, four RPG charges, one General Purpose Machine Gun, seven AK 47 rifles, one FNC rifle and 24 assorted magazines.

"Others are two pistols, IED materials, bows and arrows and cutlasses, among others," he said.

Musa said that the city had returned to normal after the counter attack by his men.

"The JTF wishes to warn residents of the city to stop allowing their homes to be used as launch pads. Any person caught will be dealt with, according to the law," he said.

Our correspondent reports that not less than 15 explosions were reported in some area of Maiduguri between 6pm to 9pm on Monday.

There was no immediate reaction from the Boko Haram sect, which had previously disputed claims by the security forces of killing its fighters. Locals also accuse soldiers of routinely killing civilians in the name of Boko Haram, accusations the military authorities denied.

30 killed in Benue community attack

Meanwhile, at least 30 persons have been reported killed and properties worth millions of naira destroyed in an early morning attack allegedly carried out by herdsmen in Yogbo, Guma local government area of Benue State.

The victims, mostly children and women, were killed on Sunday morning when many residents of the community had gone to church.

The attack forced many people to flee to the Benue State capital Makurdi.

Intermittent fighting has caused the death of dozens in the last one year in some rural settlements in the state during confrontation between herders and natives over encroachment on farmlands.

Police spokesman, DSP Daniel Ezeala, confirmed the Sunday incident, adding that the command has deployed personnel in the area.

Daily Trust