Yobo faces AFCON knockout

Started by MrVan, Oct 26, 2012, 09:12 AM

MrVan

Nigeria skipper Joseph Yobo risks missing out on next year's AFCON as a result of a major knee injury, officials said.

MTNFootball.com has learnt that Yobo, who is set for his 90th international cap, has suffered a cruciate ligament knee injury, which could rule him out of action for at least six months.

Yobo The injury already meant the experienced central defender missed the decisive Nations Cup qualifier against Liberia in Calabar earlier this month. He was also replaced by Efe Ambrose due to injury in the first leg qualifier in Liberia in September.

"Yobo is nursing a very serious knee injury which may stop him from featuring at the Nations Cup. He has a cruciate ligament problem in the knee and such an injury could keep out a player for as long as six months,"a top source informed MTNFootball.com

"The team officials are very much aware of this and have started working on several options in the team without Yobo."

However, Yobo said that  he will soon be back on his feet and playing again.

"I am still recuperating and my club don't want to rush me back, but should be back in a couple of days," said the player who has featured in five Nations Cup tournaments.

Should Yobo miss out on the AFCON, Nigeria Premier League (NPL) stars Godfrey Oboabona and Azubuike Egwuekwe will now stand a good chance of making the final cut to South Africa 2013.

That was the central defence combination that Keshi played for the last match against Liberia.

It would be recalled that injury also accounted for the former Everton star shortened run at the 2010 Nations Cup in Angola as he had to leave the tournament to attend to the complaint.

Vanguard Nigeria

Tina lawrence

He is one of our competent defenders.I feel sad to hear and see this

Tina lawrence

I am just happy we still have some good fit players like my darling Ik Uche.