Deaths reported in New Zealand storm

Started by NewsCaster, Dec 06, 2012, 11:30 AM

NewsCaster

Nigel Marple / ReutersRescue workers inspect the scene where at least two men are believed to be dead inside a truck (C) at a building site in the suburb of Hobsonville after a reported tornado went through in Auckland Dec. 6.By NBC News staffUpdated at 11:25 p.m. ET: Three people were killed and several injured Thursday when high winds -- possibly from a tornado -- struck in the outskirts of Auckland, New Zealand, police officials told New Zealand media.

Follow @NBCNewsWorld  Two deaths occurred in the northwestern suburb of Hobsonville when a concrete slab fell on a truck, the New Zealand Herald reported on its website, citing a fire services spokesman. But Radio New Zealand said the truck had been carrying the slab. It was not immediately possible to reconcile the reports. Giant concrete blocks were reported toppled at a school construction site, possibly trapping workers beneath, the Herald reported.





NBCNews