Flood: Victims accuse Benue officials of starvation, seduction

Started by Sunexx360, Oct 16, 2012, 12:21 PM

Sunexx360

Officials of the Benue State Emergency Management Agency (SEMA) have been accused of starving those displaced by flood at various camps in Makurdi, the state capital. It was learnt also alleged that the SEMA male officials lured girls among the victims into intercourse. Sources said that the officials lured the girls with relief materials donated by some corporate organisations.
One of the victims, who simply identified himself as Mr. James at Wurukum camp, said: "Most of the food items brought here are not given to us. For instance, two days ago, a baker brought loafs of bread here in a big vehicle, but the officials did not give the bread to us.
If you check the store now, there is nothing there. "Let me also say that if you are opportuned to visit this place at about 8 or 9 in the night, you will see these officials coming with their vehicles to park the food totheir houses. What they give us here is four cups of rice for a family of five." As a result of persistent complaints, a mother of four at St. Catherine camp was sent packing with her children recently.
The woman, Mrs Atisar Mtom, was sent packing for daring to confront the officials onwhile the foods donated by some corporate organisations were not distributed. But attempts to speak with the SEMA boss, Mr Adikpo Agbatse, were not successful.
Meanwhile, the Federal Government has giventhe Gombe State Government the sum of N300 million to assist the flood victims.
The Zonal Coordinator of the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA), Alhaji Mohammed Kanar, who disclosed this at a one day awareness meeting organised by the agency in collaboration with the Gombe State Emergency Management Agency (GSEMA), said the funds would soon be disbursed to the victims. Represented by the NEMA Administrative Officer, Alhaji Sadiq Nuhu, Kanar sympathised with the victims of the disaster, even as he urged them to see it as a natural phenomenon which no human being has control over.
The Commissioner for Special Duties and Intergovernmental Affairs, Alhaji Abubakar Jalo Bajoga, commended President Goodluck Jonathan's administration for coming to the aid of the victims with the N300 million. It will, however, be recalled that Gombe was among the states recently ravaged by flood inthe country. The state government had earlierapproved the sum of N22 million to assist thevictims, whose homes and farmlands had been destroyed by the flood.
The Permanent Secretary in the GSEMA, Mr. Kelmi Lazarus, said the state government had approved N22 million relief materials aimed at reducing the impact of the disaster on the victims. He urged the victims to exercise patience with the agency as the materials would be disbursed as soon as the funds were released by the Federal Government.