Daniel Levy announced on Friday that the club will continue to play all its 2018 matches at Wembley Stadium, thus delaying the opening of the club’s new venue until next year.
“I wish I was able to confirm an exact opening date and fixture. However, in light of factors completely outside of our control, contractors missing deadlines and possible future unforeseen issues, we are naturally being cautious in respect of our timetable for our test events and official opening game,” Levy said in a statement.
Spurs’ new £850 million home on the site of their former ground was originally due to open on Sept. 15 and had been previously announced to open in time for Christmas, but Friday’s decision nixed that timetable.
The club announced on Tuesday that one section of the stadium, which includes Europe’s largest club shop, is open to the public.
“We know the continued delay is a source of immense disappointment to everyone and I can only continue to apologise for this — it is a sentiment felt by all of us,” said Levy, adding that the club hopes to have an update in early December.
Spurs manager Mauricio Pochettino admitted earlier this week that it has been “it’s difficult to play with that feeling that you always play away from home.”
Tottenham have played five matches as a home side, four at Wembley and one in Milton Keynes, due to the ongoing delays. The pitch at Wembley has taken a beating recently, with multiple NFL games at the national stadium and impending bad weather affecting the field.
With Manchester City taking on Spurs on Monday — one day after another NFL game between the Philadelphia Eagles and Jacksonville Jaguars — Pochettino said on Friday that the poor Wembley pitch could “help” his club against the league leaders.
Support InfoStride News' Credible Journalism: Only credible journalism can guarantee a fair, accountable and transparent society, including democracy and government. It involves a lot of efforts and money. We need your support. Click here to Donate