Maurizio Sarri wants Cesc Fabregas to make a January move from Chelsea to Monaco because it will make the midfielder happy.
Fabregas left the Stamford Bridge pitch in tears after waving goodbye to Chelsea fans at the end of Saturday’s 2-0 FA Cup win over Nottingham Forest, although all parties have said a deal is not yet over the line.
Sarri — who said last month that Chelsea’s policy of offering only one-year extensions to players over 30 was a sticking point in talks with Fabregas and David Luiz — believes Fabregas should accept a two-and-a-half-year contract at Monaco.
“I can say only my opinion. I don’t know the decision of the club, of course,” he said. “In my opinion, he needs to go. I don’t want as very important player as Cesc not happy.”
Sarri added that Chelsea would need to sign a replacement for Fabregas in January but would not comment on speculation linking them with Cagliari’s Nicolo Barella.
“If Cesc goes, of course we will need a replacement. Now with the midfielders we are in trouble, I think, because I don’t know the [injury] situation of Ruben [Loftus-Cheek], if it is serious or not,” he said.
“Without Cesc we are only five, so we are in trouble.”
Sarri said he did not know whether Fabregas had used a rest day on Sunday to fly to Monaco and finalise personal terms, but the Spaniard is a doubt for Tuesday’s Carabao Cup semifinal first leg against Tottenham with cramp.