Three soldiers were yesterday killed at a military post in Gwoza after a suicide car bomber suspected to be a Boko Haram member hit the post located near a secondary school in the Borno town. Three other soldiers were wounded in the incident which occurred at 7 a.m.
The suspected suicide bomber came through Wala and Warabe villages on high speed and hit the military post, with deafening sound that rocked the town for seconds, before people started scampering for safety, Mallam Usman Yaro, yesterday told Vanguard in a telephone interview in Maiduguri.
“We were woken up with a bomb blast on the road near the school, some of us started to run for safety while others fled into the school and hill tops of Gwoza.
“I cannot tell you the exact casualties but three soldiers fell on the road side while others took to their heels for safety, as the car that contained explosives ripped into pieces to create a deep crater near the post.
“None of the civilians was killed as people were still asleep when the suicide bomber detonated the explosives that killed him and three soldiers,” Yaro said.
He said the casualty figure could have been higher, but people had been prevented from plying the road by the military for safety since last month.
“Since the blast went off to destroy the military post, with the killing of three soldiers, the road was condoned off up till 4pm Sunday to allow some of the people in the market to go to their houses safely,” he explained.
A top police officer, who is not authorised to talk to the press, but attached to the patrol of Bama-Gwoza road, confirmed the incident, Vanguard reports.