Governor Ademola Adeleke has directed the immediate revitalisation of the Safe School Initiative following recent kidnapping incidents reported in Oyo State.
The directive was disclosed in a statement posted on the official page of the Osun State Government on May 17, 2026.
According to the statement, the governor directed the Ministry of Education alongside relevant government and security agencies to strengthen measures aimed at preventing any possible spillover of kidnapping incidents into Osun State.

Adeleke also ordered increased intelligence gathering around schools located in border communities and remote areas across the state.
The statement added that the Amotekun Corps was instructed to strengthen collaboration with non-governmental peace organisations currently supporting security operations in schools within the state.
“We are resolved to secure our pupils across our school system. Necessary steps are ongoing to improve security of schools especially in rural areas,” Adeleke stated.
The governor also assured parents and school authorities of the safety of students while directing his security adviser to strengthen the state’s safety plan.
Tension In Kano Community As Youths Protest Insecurity
Tension erupted in Gwarzo, headquarters of Gwarzo Local Government Area of Kano State, on Sunday following a violent protest over worsening insecurity, as angry youths allegedly set part of a government building ablaze.
The protest, which reportedly began peacefully, was triggered by repeated bandit attacks in the area, which residents said had left communities living in fear and uncertainty.
Eyewitnesses said hundreds of youths stormed the streets chanting slogans and demanding urgent government intervention to address the growing security crisis.
The protesters were said to have marched to the Local Government Secretariat, where the situation escalated after some youths allegedly forced their way into parts of the premises.
A section of the building was later set on fire, sending thick smoke into the air as residents and passers-by fled the scene.
One resident said frustration among youths had been building for weeks due to recurring attacks.
“People are tired of sleeping in fear. The attacks have become too frequent, and there is no strong response. That is why the youths reacted this way,” the resident said.
Another community member appealed for calm, warning that destruction of public property could worsen the crisis.
“We understand the frustration, but violence will not solve the problem. What we need is dialogue and urgent security action,” the resident added.
Security operatives were later deployed across the area to restore order and prevent further escalation, while authorities reportedly commenced investigations into the incident.
Support InfoStride News' Credible Journalism: Only credible journalism can guarantee a fair, accountable and transparent society, including democracy and government. It involves a lot of efforts and money. We need your support. Click here to Donate
