The mother of the young man accused by military authorities of masterminding last week’s suicide car blast in Kawo, Kaduna State, has cried out over her son’s innocence.
The suspect, Mansir Yusuf, who was disguised as a woman, was reportedly arrested while leaving the scene of the deadly blast on Wednesday which targeted the convoy of former Head of State, General Muhammadu Buhari.
The military later issued a statement accusing Yusuf of being behind the attack.
But the suspect’s mother, Zubeida Yusuf, who resides in Mando, Kaduna, said the military mistook her son for a terrorist because he was found wearing female clothes. She said her son was under ‘demonic’ attack, which made him to act strangely and become fond of women clothing.
Yusuf, who was wearing a long red robe and head cover when he was arrested, was given the beating of his life by a mob before he was rescued by soldiers, who whisked him away.
Pleading her son’s innocence, Mrs. Yusuf said: “My son is not a terrorist. What is wrong with him is an evil spiritual attack which is making him to prefer women’s clothing and to act as one who is mentally retarded. Everyone in Mando knows that he only has a spiritual condition that is making him to act strangely.
“He often dresses normal from home, but whenever he gets to an uncompleted building, he would go in and change to the female clothes. He usually carries his bag. He has been taken to the Village Head several times and has been flogged in the hope to cast away the spirits, but the spirits have remained and have continued to torment him”.
The suspect’s mother, who spoke with Daily Trust in Kaduna, said they were at home on Wednesday when they heard of the bomb blast in Kawo and people were running there to see what happened.
“My son said he was going there too and I told him to stay at home. But he sneaked out, and as usual he carried his bag with woman clothes and mobile phones”, she explained.
Mrs. Yusuf said she later heard that her son had been killed and later that he was arrested by the military.
She challeged the government and any other interested person to come to Aminu Kano Street in Mando and ask of her son, saying “they all know him and know his spiritual challenges for years”.
Confirming her story, an elderly man in Mando, who spoke under the condition of anonymity, said the suspect was actually under spiritual attack.
“We have even suggested several treatment options to the family which I am sure they have commenced. But his case is purely a spiritual attack”, he said.
The suspect’s elder brother, Ibrahim Yusuf said “the spirits making my brother to misbehave strangely have hindered him from doing any work to earn a living except the desire for wearing female clothes”.
A resident of Kawo, Sirajo Suleiman said Yusuf was not found with any explosives apart from some mobile phones and clothes.
Another resident of Kawo, Hassan Mai Shayi, who knew the suspect said, “I heard that the mastermind of the blast has been caught but before I could go and see him another person told me that the suspect is a mentally retarded boy from Mando and that nothing was found on him”.
Support InfoStride News' Credible Journalism: Only credible journalism can guarantee a fair, accountable and transparent society, including democracy and government. It involves a lot of efforts and money. We need your support. Click here to Donate