The Nigerian Army has announced that its men killed 16 Boko Haram members during a shoot-out in Kala Balge local government area of Borno State.
The Army spokesman, Colonel Sani Kukasheka Usman said the terrorists attacked the troops on Saturday, July 9, 2016, around 5:00pm.
Usman said the terrorists were well armed, adding that the gun battle lasted for several hours.
The Army spokesman also said 5 soldiers were injured during the attacks, adding that the troops’ morale is high.
Usman said “Yesterday evening remnants of Boko Haram terrorists in their numbers attacked our troops location at Rann, Kala Balge Local Government Area of Borno State.
“The terrorists came with Motorcycles Borne Improvised Explosive Devices (MCBIED), Anti-Aircraft Guns and other weapons at about 5.00pm and the exchange of fire lasted for some hours before they were overwhelmed by the troops firepower.
“Unfortunately, one of the terrorists’ suicide bomber detonated himself at a gun truck killing the driver and the gunner. The truck and the mounted weapon were also damaged beyond repairs. In addition 2 soldiers were wounded in action while 3 others sustained minor injuries.”
Adding that “The troops killed 7 of the attackers instantly while quite a number escaped with gunshot wounds. During clearance operations this morning, the troops discovered 9 more Boko Haram terrorists dead bodies in the surrounding areas. Therefore the total number of terrorists killed was 16.
“The troops also recovered a General Purpose Machine Gun, Rocket Propelled Grenade, ammunitions and captured 2 of the terrorists alive.
“The bodies of the two fallen heroes and the wounded in action soldiers have been evacuated to Maiduguri, while reinforcement was sent from Gomboru Ngala.
“In a related development, troops have also discovered and safely detonated 2 Improvised Explosive Devices (IEDs) planted along Gomboru-Rann road. It is believed that the IEDs were planted yesterday to prevent troops reinforcement to Rann while the attack lasted.
“The Commanding Officer of 3 Battalion has visited the troops and held durbar with them. He commended them for their doggedness during attack and also urged them not to lower their guards.
“Despite the incident, troops morale remains very high and they have continued with their clearance operations.”
The Chief of Army staff (COAS), Lt. Gen. Tukur Buratai had earlier claimed that members of the Boko Haram sect have fled from Nigeria.
Support InfoStride News' Credible Journalism: Only credible journalism can guarantee a fair, accountable and transparent society, including democracy and government. It involves a lot of efforts and money. We need your support. Click here to Donate