Passengers of a commuter bus escaped death when their bus caught fire close to an Oando filling station at Ojodu Alagbole Akute Road, Odo-Eran Bus-Stop, Ogun State on Sunday evening after a heavy rainfall.
Also burnt were another commuter bus and a Sienna space bus parked in the filling station. The filling station was said to be completely burnt down.
It was gathered that when the bus caught fire, the passengers scampered for safety but the driver was severely burnt before he was rescued.
The fire incident was said to have been caused by petrol that leaked from the underground tanks of the affected filling station.
According to an eyewitness account, after the rainfall, the bus developed a fault close to the filling station. And as the driver of the bus was trying to start the bus before it caught fire.
The fire spread to another commuter bus and the Sienna space bus parked inside the filling station.
An eyewitness told P.M.News that sympathizers could not salvage the situation because the area was flooded and there were traces of petrol in the flood. [PMNews]