A young man identified as Sodiq Ojomo, drowned in a swimming pool at an event centre in Victoria Island, Lagos on Christmas day, Director, Lagos State Fire Service, Rasak Fadipe, disclosed this on Friday to the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN), while reacting to the service’s activities for the year.
According to him, the incident occurred at No. 3/5, Durosinmi Etti Street, Victoria Island. He said that the 23-year-old, who works for a catering service, was at the centre with his colleagues to entertain some guests.
He said that the victim allegedly jumped into the swimming pool against the advice of his supervisor. He explained that police from Maroko division came to the scene and picked the corpse and deposited at the public mortuary.
Fadipe said that the fire service responded to 1, 621 fire incidents between January and Dec. 21. 172 incidents were recorded in March, which was the highest in the period while October recorded the lowest with 94 incidents reported. 108 rescue calls were responded to, while nine collapsed building calls were also recorded.
He advised members of the public to avoid any act that could cause fire outbreak, especially candle light, generating set, power surge and overloading electrical appliances.
Support InfoStride News' Credible Journalism: Only credible journalism can guarantee a fair, accountable and transparent society, including democracy and government. It involves a lot of efforts and money. We need your support. Click here to Donate