The official, who asked to remain anonymous, as he was not authorised to speak to the media said 64 bodies had been taken to a hospital in the commercial city.
He however said, “Those figures are going to climb.”
Two bombs had exploded in quick succession in the premises of the Grand Mosque seconds after the Friday prayers started. A third also went off nearby.
The attack is believed to have been unleashed on the commercial city by Islamist sect Boko Haram, a group that commenced series of attacks in 2009.
Support InfoStride News' Credible Journalism: Only credible journalism can guarantee a fair, accountable and transparent society, including democracy and government. It involves a lot of efforts and money. We need your support. Click here to Donate