Arturo Vidal is scheduled to appear before a Munich district court on Wednesday after he was charged with aggravated battery following a dispute at a disco last year.
Vidal, 31, was part of a group that allegedly attacked another guest at Crown’s Club with a three-litre bottle of vodka in September 2017. That guest reportedly suffered a laceration and concussion in the incident.
Vidal, who left Bayern Munich for Barcelona in August, has been summoned to the district court alongside half-brother Sandrino, who was also part of the group that day.
“Nobody ever apologised to me,” the victim, identified only as Mehmet E. in accordance with German privacy laws, told Merkur.
Sources have said the alleged attack was filmed. The victim’s lawyer, Berthold Braunger, said: “The state of evidence is conclusive.”
On Wednesday, the victim will only appear as a witness as the court is set to determine Vidal’s part in the incident.
Following the incident, the owner of Crown’s Club, Oliver Reif, told AZ: “We have everything on the tapes of our surveillance camera. It rather looks like Vidal tried to deescalate the situation.”
Munich public prosecution has charged the pair with aggravated battery and can be punished under German law with a prison term between three months and 10 years if found guilty.
However, if sentenced to less than two years in prison, the term could be suspended. The victims of aggravated battery under German law are entitled to receive compensation.
In August, Vidal’s father-in-law, who was also charged in the incident, did not appear for his trial and was fined €36,000. Should Vidal not make it to Munich, the court could issue an arrest warrant or a penalty order to progress the trial.
Support InfoStride News' Credible Journalism: Only credible journalism can guarantee a fair, accountable and transparent society, including democracy and government. It involves a lot of efforts and money. We need your support. Click here to Donate