No less than 43 people were killed in an attack that lasted five hours at the weekend when Boko Haram gunmen stormed the town of Gubio in Borno State, survivors told Reuters on Tuesday.
Despite suffering heaving casualty following a sustained anti-insurgency campaign by the Nigerian military and allied forces of late, Boko Haram have still managed to carry out pockets of terrorist activities in the North-East.
The latest attack, which a military source said involved a convoy of around 50 Boko Haram members storming Gubio, lasted for around five hours on Saturday afternoon and ended about 9.30 p.m., local resident Mallam Yusuf Mohammed said.
News of the attack is only just getting out due to the disruption of telecommunication services in the affected area.
Mohammed estimated that more than 400 houses had been torched by the insurgents.
“They came, shooting, threatening to kill everybody. They set fire on many houses, burnt down our peoples’ vehicles and motorcycles. We lost 43 people including two children”, Abubakar Mondama, leader of a local vigilante group, told journalists.
Support InfoStride News' Credible Journalism: Only credible journalism can guarantee a fair, accountable and transparent society, including democracy and government. It involves a lot of efforts and money. We need your support. Click here to Donate