Senate President Bukola Saraki’s legal team has reacted to the Federal Government’s appeal against the Code of Conduct (CCT) ruling that acquitted him of charges of corruption and false assets declaration.
The Federal Government filed an 11 grounds notice of appeal against the ruling of the Danladi Umar-led tribunal after it dismissed the government’s 18-count false assets declaration charge against the former Kwara state Governor on June 14.
Saraki’s counsel, Mr. Paul Erokoro (SAN), told Leadershiip, “We have no fear about the appeal. It is their right to appeal the judgement since they are not satisfied with it.
“When we are served with the appeal, we shall respond appropriately. We shall meet in court to argue the appeal.”
ALSO READ: FG files appeal against Senate President’s CCT victory
After accusations from the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), Saraki was charged to court in 2015 on false declarations of assets when he was Kwara state governor.
In defiance, the Senate President filed a no-case submission before the tribunal in May 2017, saying all evidence presented by the prosecution lacks merit.
In last week’s ruling, Umar said the prosecution failed to prove the case against Saraki and acquitted him.
The government’s notice of appeal considered the acquittal “unwarranted, unreasonable and against the weight of evidence”.
The notice was signed by lead prosecuting counsel Mr. Rotimi Jacobs (SAN), and an Assistant Chief State Counsel in the Federal Ministry of Justice, Mr. Pius Akutah and said the tribunal’s decision was wrong in its consideration of the case.
The Federal Government is expected to take the case to the Supreme Court if it doesn’t get a favourable ruling at the Court of Appeal.
Support InfoStride News' Credible Journalism: Only credible journalism can guarantee a fair, accountable and transparent society, including democracy and government. It involves a lot of efforts and money. We need your support. Click here to Donate