The Emir of Kano, Muhammed Sanusi II on Saturday visited the Kano Mosque where two suicide bombers hit on Friday killing about 200 worshippers, saying Muslims in Nigeria will not be intimidated by the attack.
Two suspected Boko Haram members had on Friday blown themselves up at the Grand Mosque Kano, where the Emir usually leads Jumat prayers, although he was reportedly out of the country at the time of the attack. Gunmen stationed at different escape routes were also said to have opened fire on people following the blasts.
“We will never be intimidated into abandoning our religion, which is the intention of the attackers,” the emir said during a 20-minute-visit to the mosque shortly after his return to the country,” said Sanusi II.
The emir had last week called on civilians at the mosque to take up arms against Boko Haram, as the terrorist group continues its brazen attack on Nigeria’s north. Speculation that the attack might have been in retaliation to the monarch’s call therefore followed Friday’s incident. The Emir however dismissed the widespread speculation, noting that such attacks are not planned in days.
“From all indications, they (attackers) have been planning this for at least two months,” he said, without giving details.
Flesh of victims, blood splatters, broken floor tiles, abandoned footwear and prayer mats littered the mosque on Saturday. Sanusi therefore directed that the house of prayer, which is usually very clean, to be washed so that prayers can continue there.
“I have directed that the mosque be washed and cleaned and prayers should continue here,” he said.
Support InfoStride News' Credible Journalism: Only credible journalism can guarantee a fair, accountable and transparent society, including democracy and government. It involves a lot of efforts and money. We need your support. Click here to Donate