CAMPBELL, CA–(Marketwired – February 27, 2015) – Technology market research firm Infonetics Research, now part of IHS Inc. ( NYSE : IHS ), today reported that Data Over Cable Service Interface Specification (DOCSIS) channel shipments rose to record levels in 2014 — up 114 percent to 4.8 million worldwide — as cable operators continue to improve their networks to offer services to customers at ever-higher speeds.
Infonetics’ fourth quarter 2014 (4Q14) and year-end CCAP, CMTS, and Edge QAM Hardware report tracks cable broadband subscribers and equipment including converged cable access platforms (CCAPs), cable modem termination systems (CMTSs), coaxial media converters (CMCs) and edge quadrature amplitude modulation (QAM) channels.
“The continued growth of DOCSIS channel shipments is a strong sign of multiple system operators’ (MSOs’) ongoing investment to ramp DOCSIS bandwidth and services like IP video by splitting optical nodes and reducing service group sizes via CCAP,” said Jeff Heynen, principal analyst for broadband access and pay TV at Infonetics Research.
“We look for the upward trend in channels on CCAP and CMTS platforms to continue to grow as operators prepare their networks for DOCSIS 3.1 and remote physical (R-PHY) architectures, though the growth will come principally from CCAP products,” Heynen said.
MORE CABLE BROADBAND MARKET HIGHLIGHTS
- Globally, CCAP, CMTS, edge QAM and CMC equipment revenue totaled $493 million in 4Q14, an 11 percent sequential increase
- For the full-year 2014, worldwide sales of CCAP, CMTS, edge QAM and CMC gear grew 27 percent from the prior year, to $1.7 billion
- 2014 will be remembered as a transitional year from traditional CMTS to provisional CCAP deployments: From 2013 to 2014, CCAP revenue increased 997 percent to $1.4 billion, while CMTS revenue dropped 84 percent to $155 million
- The transition from CMTS to CCAP resulted in interesting market share shifts in 2014: Arris dominated the cable broadband market, capturing 48 percent of global revenue, while Cisco had one of its most disappointing years for CCAP/CMTS sales
- Casa Systems also had a record 2014, growing revenue 195 percent from 2013
- In the key market of North America, DOCSIS channel shipments were up 139 percent in 2014 over the previous year, and revenue was up 35 percent
- Infonetics expects the pending merger between Comcast and Time Warner Cable
to have a direct impact on the North American region in the early part of 2015, exacerbating the usual first quarter slowness
- N. American CCAP, CMTS, CMC and edge QAM channel shipments are forecast by Infonetics to drop 7 percent sequentially in 1Q15
CABLE HARDWARE REPORT SYNOPSIS
Infonetics’ quarterly CCAP, CMTS and edge QAM report provides worldwide and regional market size, vendor market share, forecasts through 2019, analysis and trends for CCAP, CMTS, CMC and edge QAM (linear broadcast, VoD and unicast video, switched digital video, and DOCSIS/M-CMTS) equipment and cable broadband subscribers (standard and wideband). Vendors tracked: Arris, Casa Systems, Cisco, Ericsson, Harmonic, Huawei, others. To purchase the report, contact www.infonetics.com/contact.asp.
VECTORING AND G.FAST WEBINAR
Join analyst Jeff Heynen March 12 at 11:00 AM ET for Fast Gets Faster: Extending Broadband with Vectoring and G.fast, an event exploring FTTdp, VDSL, vectoring and G.fast real-world deployments. Register now.
RECENT AND UPCOMING RESEARCH
Download Infonetics’ 2015 service brochure or log in: www.infonetics.com/login.
- Analyst Note: Imagine Communications Continues Expansion with RGB Buy (Feb.)
- Analyst Note: Competitors Attempt to Chip Away at Broadcom (Feb.)
- PON, FTTH & DSL Aggregation Equipment Forecast (Feb.)
- PON, FTTH, Cable, DSL, and Wireless Broadband CPE Forecast (Mar.)
- FTTH, DSL, and Cable Subscribers Forecast (Mar.)
- Home Networking Devices Forecast
- CCAP, DOCSIS 3.1, and Distributed Access Strategies Survey (Apr.)
- LTE Fixed Broadband Strategies and Vendor Leadership Survey (Q1)
TO PURCHASE RESEARCH, PLEASE CONTACT:
North America (West), Asia Pacific:
Larry Howard Larry.Howard@ihs.com +1 408-583-3335
North America (East, Midwest), Latin America, EMEA:
Scott Coyne Scott.Coyne@ihs.com +1 408-583-3395
Greater China, Southeast Asia, India: 大中华区
Jeffrey Song Jeffrey.Song@ihs.com +86 21-3919-8505
Takashi Kimura, TAK Analytics firstname.lastname@example.org +81 3-6408-5566
IHS ( NYSE : IHS ) is the leading source of insight, analytics and expertise in critical areas that shape today’s business landscape. Businesses and governments in more than 150 countries around the globe rely on the comprehensive content, expert independent analysis and flexible delivery methods of IHS to make high-impact decisions and develop strategies with speed and confidence. IHS has been in business since 1959 and became a publicly traded company on the New York Stock Exchange in 2005. Headquartered in Englewood, Colorado, USA, IHS is committed to sustainable, profitable growth and employs about 8,800 people in 32 countries around the world.
IHS is a registered trademark of IHS Inc. All other company and product names may be trademarks of their respective owners. © 2014 IHS Inc. All rights reserved.
About Infonetics Research
Infonetics Research, now part of IHS ( NYSE : IHS ), is an international market research and consulting firm serving the communications industry since 1990. A leader in defining and tracking emerging and established technologies in all world regions, Infonetics helps clients plan, strategize and compete more effectively. Follow Infonetics on Twitter for the latest headlines: http://twitter.com/infonetics.
Image Available: http://www.marketwire.com/library/MwGo/2015/2/28/11G034482/Images/2015-Infonetics-4Q14-CCAP-CMTS-Edge-QAM-Eqpmt-Mkt–718488089277.jpg
News Media Contact:
Principal Analyst, Broadband Access and Pay TV
Infonetics Research / IHS
Support InfoStride News' Credible Journalism: Only credible journalism can guarantee a fair, accountable and transparent society, including democracy and government. It involves a lot of efforts and money. We need your support. Click here to Donate