Job Title: Consultancy for Mentorship of NIS Intelligence Unit
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Employer: International Organization for Migration (IOM)
Sector: Non-Governmental Organisation (NGO)
Established in 1951, the International Organization for Migration (IOM) is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments
IOM is in the process of implementing the European Union funded project “Promoting Better Management of Migration in Nigeria”. The overall objective of the project is to enhance the capacity of the Government of Nigeria to manage migration in order to maximize its development potential. The specific objectives are to improve the governance of migration through the use of evidence-based instruments, strengthen national capacity to manage organized labor migration, mobilize diaspora for national development and to strengthen national capacity to deter irregular migration. The Nigeria Immigration Services (NIS), as the body mandated to deal with immigration in the country, is a key partner in achieving the goals of this project. The project aims at targeted interventions required to enhance the NIS’ capacity to manage migration flows to and from Nigeria and deter irregular migration thereby contributing to the achievement of the project’s overall objective.
One of the key components of this project was the establishment of an Intelligence Unit of the Nigeria Immigration Service. The Intelligence Unit was established in June 2012 with a pioneer set of 12 officers who received basic training in intelligence gathering, utilization, and dissemination. The officers also received related basic information technology training.
This consultancy aims to build the skill and capacity of the officers manning the Intelligence Unit. The consultant will provide one (1) month of mentorship to the officers of the Unit, providing practical daily advice on international best practices in immigration related intelligence activities. The consultant is required to develop a mentorship package that will be sufficiently extensive such that it will take staff of the Intelligence Unit from a position of basic intelligence knowledge in relation to operating an intelligence section to positions of Intermediate to expert proficiency. The mentorship package should also be aimed at building the NIS’ in-house training capabilities through training of trainers’ courses or other means.
OBJECTIVES OF THE CONSULTANCY: The overall objective of the consultancy is to provide support to the Government by enhancing the capacity of the Nigeria Immigration Service in intelligence gathering, analyzing and processing.
1. Enhance the capacity of the Intelligence Unit of the NIS to gather, use, and disseminate intelligence through daily mentorship on the international best fit practices in immigration intelligence;
2. Assess the training needs of the Intelligence Unit officers and develop recommendations for developing their in-house training capacities;
3. Design and develop, in partnership with NIS and IOM, a mentorship package for newly recruited intelligence officers;
4. Develop an implementation strategy for this package, including training-of-trainers (TOT) courses to support the capacity of the NIS to carry out further trainings.
SPECIFIC ACTIVITIES TO BE PERFORMED:
5. Provide IOM with a checklist of read-ahead materials and actions to be undertaken by IOM prior to commencing the consultancy;
6. Review already existing documentation and other relevant data and materials to be provided by IOM according to the checklist mentioned in the previous point;
7. Meetings/sessions with key stakeholders in migration and border management trainings in NIS;
8. Designing a comprehensive one month mentorship plan on intelligence activities for the NIS;
9. Implementing the mentorship plan through daily practical facilitation of the activities of the Intelligence Unit;
10. Developing recommendations for developing the NIS’ in-house training capacities in the field of intelligence;
11. Implementing these recommendations through, for example, training-of–trainers courses;
12. Develop pre and post training evaluation guidelines and materials; and
13. Briefing and debriefing meetings with IOM throughout the period of the consultancy.
The methodology that will be used to conduct this mentoring at the minimum could include:
• Proffer tailored, instruction/mentorship on intelligence gathering, use and dissemination
• Interviews with relevant units/staff
The suggested methods are only indicative and applicants are strongly encouraged to adopt best fit practices and successful models suitable for the purpose of this task.
1. Detailed implementation plan of consultant’s activities under this project;
2. Training modules on courses to develop the Intelligence Unit’s in-house training capacities;
3. Implementation strategy developed to carry out the trainings;
4. Training evaluation guidance for the NIS; and
5. Recommendations to IOM and NIS on other training subjects to be progressively included in training programmes.
TIMEFRAME: It is proposed that the consultancy takes place between 2nd December 2013 and 6th January 2014.
MANAGEMENT AND SUPERVISION: The consultant will work under the supervision of the Chief of Mission and in close coordination with the Immigration and Border Management team in Abuja. Technical support will also be provided by the IOM Regional Office in Dakar and IOM Headquarters in Geneva.
• Education: Advanced University education in Social Sciences, or equivalent.
• Experience: At least 5 years of experience working in an intelligence-led department within government service and will be familiar with every aspect of establishing such a unit, the training required, the skills set needed by selected staff and the array of investigative tools to be utilized going forward. Technical Competencies: Proven training experience for government in an intelligence environment. Ability to train, write and review reports. Strong computer and analytical skills, and software packages related to intelligence. Proven track record to work in a multi-disciplinary environment is necessary. Professionalism: Demonstrated professional competence, conscientiousness and efficiency in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; display of persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges, and remaining calm in stressful situations.
• Planning and organizing: Able to work within a defined time-frame and to develop clear goals per agreed strategies; capacity of identifying priority activities and assignments, adjusting priorities as required; allocating appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foreseeing risks and allowing for contingencies when planning, monitoring and adjusting plans and actions as necessary; and using time efficiently.
• Other desirable qualifications: Familiar with local context in migration discourse. Excellent communications skills, both written and verbal. Good interviewing and listening skills.
• Personal/Interpersonal Skills: Excellent communication skills; speak and write clearly and effectively; objective and analytical; Drive for results; Proven track record of delivering on time and within budget; Ability to work effectively and harmoniously with colleagues from varied cultures and professional backgrounds.
• Language: Fluency in written and spoken English is essential.
How to apply:
Application, CV and report of previous work should be addressed to The Chief of Mission, International Organization for Migration (IOM) and forwarded to email@example.com on or before 19th November 2013.
Subject line of the email should read NIS Intelligence Unit Consultancy – Abuja.
All applications should include a functional e-mail address, mobile number(s) and detailed curriculum vitae (CV).
Please note that only applications sent by email will be accepted. Candidates are also expected to propose consultancy fee which should be based on a daily rate.
Support InfoStride News' Credible Journalism: Only credible journalism can guarantee a fair, accountable and transparent society, including democracy and government. It involves a lot of efforts and money. We need your support. Click here to Donate