Job Title: Senior Research Officer (Quantitative)
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Employer: British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC)
BBC Media Action is the charitable arm of the World Service established by the BBC. BBC Media Action uses media and communications to reduce poverty and promote human rights in developing countries. To achieve this, BBC Media Action partners with civil society, local media and governments to; – Produce creative programmes based art robust research in multi-media formats which inform and engage audiences around key development issues. – Strengthen the media sector through building professional capacity and infrastructure.
At present, BBC Media Action in Nigeria has several multi-year projects addressing issues of health and governance through different outputs including factual and drama and factual outputs. BBC Media Action is looking for interested/motivated and dynamic candidates Researchers with strong quantitative research skills, and an understanding of how research informs programming to join the Team as;
Job Purpose: Will support the Head of Research and Leaning in the efficient and effective co-ordination and implementation of quantitative research activities mainly as well as qualitative research activities for the SSC Media Action’s projects in Nigeria.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
• Support the effective design, co-ordination and delivery of research for all BBC Media Action’s mass media campaigns across a range of different themes, comprising of formative research, baseline studies (e.g. surveys), process research and impact evaluation;
• Support the facilitating, monitoring and commissioning (where necessary) of all research and outreach activities (e.g. quantitative studies I surveys, focus group sessions, panel studies, case studies, listening groups etc), including negotiations on technical matters with BBCMedia Action staff and external agencies, working to budget and deadline requirements;
• Support the analyses of quantitative data primarily and qualitative data (when required), interpreting and communicating learnings from primary and secondaryresearch work in order to help Senior Management, Project Management, production, and training teams to draw insights from the data that will be useful in the design of activities.
• A good first degree in the Social Sciences, Health Sciences, Behavioural sciences, the Humanities or any other relevant field
• A Masters degree in any of the disciplines above will be an added advantage;
• Analytical Thinking – Able to simplify complex problems, processes or projects into component parts, explore and evaluate them systematically. Able to identify causal relationships, and construct frameworks, for problem-solving and/or development.
• Strategic Thinking – Can identify a vision along with the plans that need to be implemented to meet the end goal. Evaluates situations, decisions, issues, etc. in the short, medium and longer-term.
• Planning and Organisation – Is able to think ahead in order to establish an efficient and appropriate course of action for self and others. Prioritises and plans activities taking into account all the relevant issues and factors such as deadlines, staffing and resources requirements.
• Resilience – Can maintain personal effectiveness by managing own emotions in the face of pressure, set backs or when dealing with provocative situations. Can demonstrate an approach to work that is characterised by commitment, motivation and energy.
• Influencing and Persuading – Ability to present sound and well – reasoned arguments to convince others. Can draw from a range of strategies to persuade people in a way that results in agreement or behaviour change.
• Managing relationships – Able to build and maintain effective working relationships with a range of people.
• Self Development – Is able to Identify and apply opportunities for learning and development.
Remuneration: N224,000.00 gross per month
This position is Abuja based but may involve traveling the focal states in Nigeria. They have a projected start date of December 2013 and a probation period of 3 months. Initial contract is for 1 year with possibility of renewal.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates should apply online or send in their application/cover letter with an introduction and capability statement stating their capability for the job, as well as a detailed curriculum vitae (Word document please) with names and addresses of at least 2 professional referees (including their telephone, fax and email addresses) to: email@example.com with the position applied for clearly stated on the application letter.
Support InfoStride News' Credible Journalism: Only credible journalism can guarantee a fair, accountable and transparent society, including democracy and government. It involves a lot of efforts and money. We need your support. Click here to Donate